DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Built in Mic VS Stock shotgun Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/477928-built-mic-vs-stock-shotgun-mic.html)

Andrew Turk April 30th, 2010 08:23 PM

Built in Mic VS Stock shotgun Mic

Hello all

I have been playing around with the camera, and I would like some opinions from the group on the use or non-use of the shotgun mic that comes with the camera.

I find it cumbersome, and I would like to know if you feel that the built in mic is as good or at least close to as good to not really matter that much.

I use the camera mainly for traveling, and home stuff. A lot of it, outside.

If I opt to take this shotgun off, and use the onboard mics, will I see a difference really? Your opinions are important to me.

thanks

Laurence Janus May 1st, 2010 03:49 AM

I am also interested in this. I hope to get a GY-HM100 for small size and low weight so I would like to hear (pun not intended) how the built in mic performs, especially with loud noises!

Steve Cottrell May 2nd, 2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Turk (Post 1521789)
Hello all

I have been playing around with the camera, and I would like some opinions from the group on the use or non-use of the shotgun mic that comes with the camera.

I find it cumbersome, and I would like to know if you feel that the built in mic is as good or at least close to as good to not really matter that much.

I use the camera mainly for traveling, and home stuff. A lot of it, outside.

If I opt to take this shotgun off, and use the onboard mics, will I see a difference really? Your opinions are important to me.

thanks

Andrew, the built-in mics on the body of the HM100 are surprisingly good compared to the piece of canine effluent that masquerades as the provided external mic. That said, they have no shielding from wind and also readily pick up any handling noise.

I use the HM100 in 2 modes:

- with an Audio Technica AT-875 (with Rycote Softie) in the mic holder and any external radio mic when shooting documentary-style, and:

- without any external mic, using built-in mics as reference audio while camera is used as a fixed-point mini-cam for external filming (say jigged into a bicycle frame) - this is effectively shooting mute. Would cover with wild-track audio recorded later.

I haven't used the HM100 for 'secret filming' in its most basic form (without audio inputs/handle) eg - looking like a tourist but actually newsgathering, but if and when I do, the on-board mics would be fine - I might shove some fur on them just to dampen any possible wind, but otherwise it looks like any other holiday camcorder. Just need a loud jacket and Union Jack backpack to finish the illusion...

HTH

Michael Mackay May 2nd, 2010 04:08 PM

Same as Steve here, using the AT-875 which fits the shock-mount perfectly. All you need is a short XLR cable (the AT does not come with one - in the UK at least) and off you go. Sound quality is great.

I used this to record a kids event with a Sennheiser K6/ME66 positioned near to the stage on the other channel and found the AT channel to be fine on its own! Great mic and well worth changing the stock one for.

Will be using the JVC for family/holiday minus all the pro bits soon but, so far, really impressed with it. Only thing is I have found justification for changing my 2-year old iMac using FCS as I keep finding dropped frames with playback! Must be something to do with the 35Mbps slowing down my Mac. Or at least that is what I will tell my wife as an excuse for changing to the new 27" option!

Andrew Turk May 2nd, 2010 06:36 PM

mic

Hey guys,

thanks for the info and pointers. I will go out and purchase a new mic then, and use it exclusively.

I am used to the built in on my consumer camcorder and you are right, wind noise is always rearing its ugly head.

I just wanted a few good comments to make my decision...thanks

PS - i left another message but not much in comments yet. Questions was Why would someone shoot in 720 and NOT 1080? If you take a snap shot, it reverts to the 1080 anyways... comments n this ?
why do guys want to shoot in a lower res? I dont get it.

Steve Cottrell May 3rd, 2010 03:50 AM

AFAIK the HM100 has a 720 sensor block, and so if shooting in 1080 it bumps it up to 1080 using electronics. Hey, don't ask me how - I'm a cameraman, Jim - not a doctor ;-)

I film predominantly SD news in the UK and if I use the HM100 I tend to shoot in 1440X1080 at 50i because that sits nicely in the same timeline as PAL 720X576 at 50i and then just needs rendering to match it down to the SD footage. Integrates beautifully.

BTW in case anyone in the UK is looking for used hardware, I noticed Pro-Active have a couple of HM100's at 1795.00

Welcome to Proactive - Professional Broadcasting Equipment & Camcorder Packages from Sony, Canon & Panasonic

Cheers

David Bankston May 14th, 2010 04:49 PM

Rode NTG-2

The Rode NTG2 is an awesome mic. It fits perfectly in the on board shockmount.
RØDE Microphones - NTG-2

Charles Wannop May 31st, 2010 04:33 PM

Wind noise on the internal mics is certainly a problem, BUT if you can manage that they are great for recording stereo "ambient" sound. The supplied shotgun works in the field and I only swap for a Rode NTG2 for special occasions - for most stuff life is far nosier than the cheap mic.

c