DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Footage Sub Par?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/478815-footage-sub-par.html)

Tim Lawrence May 16th, 2010 07:13 PM

Footage Sub Par??

Ok, I'm starting to wonder what I'm missing here. Have brand new GYHM100. Took several takes of test footage. It's just not looking good to me. First shots were in low light (but not no light) and I figured that was why. Got out the lighting equipment, tried several shots in manual and then tried full auto (no gain). It looks sub par to me in both 720p30 and 1080p30 when played as quicktimes on my MBP.

I haven't really seen any complaints about the footage on this camera (l have read the others re:manual controls, low light, etc).

My Canon HFS10 actually looks better to me.

Am I missing something?

I am about to send back to B and H and upgrade to Panasonic HMC150.

Am I crazy here? I'm just not impressed for a $2800 camera (except with the whole QT FCP transfer).

Anybody?

Steve Cottrell May 17th, 2010 12:24 PM

Could you pop an example up on Vimeo or Exposure Room or somewhere? Be good to see...

SteveC

Buba Kastorski May 17th, 2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lawrence (Post 1527708)
My Canon HFS10 actually looks better to me.

wow, that surprising, but from the other hand HF S10 is a very good, I'd say the best, camcorder in it's class, and to me (and not only me) it looks better than FX1;
Tim, could you please do side by side HF S10 and HM100, so we can see how close/far those two are, cuz I've been thinking about getting one for crane shots, so far I've been using for that 5D, T2i and HF S200, it's nice, but with DSLRs i don't have LANC, and I was hoping to get better quality (better than hf s200) with HM100
thanks!

John Sirb May 17th, 2010 07:40 PM

I recently got a 100 to use as a second camera to my hd-200 and have been surprised how good it looked.
the only thing I've noticed is the chroma looks a bit to rich in full auto mode but other than that, no problems

Doug Tessler May 17th, 2010 09:52 PM

I disagree here are some spots I filmed

Look at these commercials on youtube in HD
Looks great to me my client loves it
Thats all I care about

YouTube - my dinette dawn.mov

Doug T

John Sirb May 17th, 2010 10:06 PM

Doug looks good. How much lighting did you have to use?

Doug Tessler May 18th, 2010 09:59 PM

well lots of lights

Its all relative I am using less lights then a few years ago but nothing out of the ordinary . I will see if my crew has some pics of my lighting and will post pics. The bottom line is the image is incredible and we know that no matter what camera you use lighting is King.

Doug

Andy Urtusuastegui May 26th, 2010 11:27 PM

First, buy Tim Dashwood's DVD on how to setup and adjust the HM100. Very good info.

Out of the box, it is ok, but with a few adjustments, I think you will be much happier.

If in auto mode, I almost always set the AE to -1 or -2. Seems the camera over exposes a bit.
Outside, I always use the ND Filter.

I also lower DETAIL in the menu settings to -6 or so, espically in 1080 modes. Reduces noise and does not lower the sharpness much.

Tryi 1080 60i and 720 60p. Motion will be much better. Are you using the highest bitrate?