Is the HM100 a noisy camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old June 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Tourist

Is the HM100 a noisy camera?

Hello everybody.

Congratulations for this forum, it´s very interesting. Sorry, but I don´t speak English very well

Recently I´ve purchased the HM100, I´ve been shooting video and I´m a bit concerned because the images seems to be very noisy in all light conditions.

I´ve purchased Tim Dashwood´s DVD and I´ve set the camera following his instructions (f.e. reducing the detail setting from 0 to -8). Also I´ve test at 720p instead of 1080p, I´ve shoot in manual mode, Gain: 0 Db0, Lolux disabled, etc.

I´ve compared it with my old JVC GZ-HD-3, and the HM100 is clearly more noisy, is this possible?. Also I´ve test the 5D Mark II and the results are incredible! (no noise in the 5D)

I am an amateur and I don´t know if there is a problem with my unit or the HM100 is really so noisy. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Can you help me?. I don´t know if I must send it to Technical Service.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.
Amos Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #2
Major Player

I have had an HM100 for just about a year, never noticed excessive noise. The camera has been used several times alongside an EX1, and it holds up very well, Try putting it in full auto, and check the noise levels in different lighting conditions.
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have quite a bit of noise if I am in low light and turn the gain setting to medium or high, but otherwise it is fantastic. If the hm100 can one day produce low noise images like my Nikon D700, I will be a happy man. :)
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Major Player

sam-

thank u for adding to the conversation.

when u say you added medium and high gain, was that +9 and +18 gain?

when i ask about the gain, the amount of gain is adjustable (+3, +6, +9, +18) which values are then assigned to the low (default 0 gain) medium (default +9 gain) or high (default +18)

did you assign gain values or go with the defaults?

additionally, can u please describe the low light situation?

i ask because i'm trying to get a sense of the hm100's iso/asa (using 35mm still camera language).

thanks in advance for sharing any insights.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems