HM100 with SD Broadcast Footage - UK Sailing Race at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old June 21st, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HM100 with SD Broadcast Footage - UK Sailing Race

In another thread I mentioned I would post some HM100 footage from the 'Round the Island Race' broadcast today on a UK regional news item for the south of England (UK). I was aboard a 44' yacht belonging to the Ellen MacArthur Trust taking part in the annual race around the Isle of Wight. In fact we had Dame Ellen on board as well, acting as crew! The idea was to take a DSR450 to do on-deck shooting in gentle airs, and interviews etc, while the HM100 would be used for everything else. We had a mixture of weather and both performed well, particularly the HM100. The DSR tape went with the reporter and the HM100 footage (PAL 50i 1440x1080 SP quality) was dragged into a FCP PAL DVCam timeline and rendered. This was then squeezed down and sent via broadband to an AVID Unity server ready for editing and broadcast. The result can be seen here:

Meridian Regional News | Merdian Tonight - ITV Local

First few shots and all aerials supplied by organisers (via Sunset+Vine) but everything else a mixture of DSR and HM100. For the terminally curious, individual shot IDs can be seen here:

Island Race ID

Lee ho!
Attached Thumbnails
HM100 with SD Broadcast Footage - UK Sailing Race-island1.jpg  
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Good stuff Steve, must have been a great day.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It wasn't bad, despite my alarm going off at 3.50am! I'm not too bad with sea legs, but I made a base camp with my stuff (Portabrace bag for the DSR and a Pelican case for the JVC and bits) down below in a berth. A couple of trips down there rooting around for bits and bobs in rough sea and it takes a minute to recover with wind in your face and a horizon to see again.

I should say that the mic on the HM100 worked very well - the ATR875 with a Rycote on it - picked up all the natural sound, especially the bits with Ellen talking to the kids and the bit with the lifeboat hovering close, all that sound picked up beautifully. Great combination. Also, it had the JVC wide angle adapter on all the time, gives a very usable angle of view for stuff like this.

Operation-wise, I use manual everything: focus and exposure. Focus was easy using the mono/highlighted edges focus assist system, no problems. Exposure always more tricky. The problem with the HM100 is that the aperture adjusts in steps - very noticeable steps. So as you nudge the rocker switch on the back with aperture selected, you really notice the 'stepping' as it opens or closes. I don't trust it on auto, except where I can't physically do it myself like holding the camera with one hand over the edge of the boat. But I'm getting used to it and it just needs a knack, so one gets by. It's more important for me to have the small size/weight than the features, so I'll live with it.

All in all, really happy with the camera - with a little care, the images off the HM100 are absolutely fantastic. No regrets!
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

How did you shoot this?

Hi Steve. Just watched your showreel. Excellent! Just wondering though, how on earth did you shoot this segment ...
Attached Thumbnails
HM100 with SD Broadcast Footage - UK Sailing Race-picture-1.png  
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ahar...

A Hague 'Handy Jib' Hague Handy-Jib K1

A waterproof mini cam with remote recorder.

A boat.

HTH :)
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ah! OK! Thanks very much Steve.
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #7
New Boot

Cant view it on this side of the world

Your footage from that TV station is not viewable outside of the UK. So I'll never know if the camera did a good job or not.
Wayne Garton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

YouTube - Island Race.mp4

HM100 shots are mixed in with DVCam footage, the shot with the lifeboat is HM100, the shot of them chatting on the deck is HM100, explaining how the sail works, and obviously anything hoiked out over the side of the yacht. HTH.
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #9
Inner Circle

My Goodness so Fred Dineage is still going strong! He was hosting that same regional TV programme then known as Coast to Coast over 25 years ago. UK readers may be interested to know that he co-hosted Coast to Coast with the then much slimmer Fern Britton.

Nice video work on the 'Round The Island' race too.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Fred is a real trooper. Absolute gentleman. Still going!

Thanks for the kind words. Expecting an Epic underwater housing for the HM100 any day now - gonna have some fun with that ;-)
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems