GY-HM100 wobble? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old September 10th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #1
New Boot

GY-HM100 wobble?

Hey everybody, I shot some footage the other day, and there's an unwelcome anomaly that is occurring in the footage. You can view the footage here:

YouTube - GY-HM100 Wobble Problem

Just a 6 second shot... watch the padlock on the bottom right of the frame. What causes this wobble in that part of the frame? I am the only person in the room (that is me in the shot, but please ladies, I'm married), and I was shooting in a gym on a cement foundation. Nothing was even close to the camera... Is it an effect that is inherent in CCD cameras? Or is there some random setting that is causing it? Thanks for any help. Once again, just showing off my ignorance...

David Elsea
AKA The GY-HM100 Problem Child
(although, you can just call me David)

Last edited by David Elsea; September 10th, 2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: update
David Elsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The padlock, itself being sharpedged and bright, makes a very slight camera movement in the shot more obvious. There seems to be apparent movement elsewhere in the shot if you look hard enough.

My bet is that you were may have been set up on a timber floor and some activity was going on to shake the floor itself, or there might have been a very slight operator bump to the tripod or camera. If you had shot with detail or sharpness wound back, this artifact might not have been so apparent but if you put the sharpness back in post then it might become apparent again.

You will see an apparent flicker or ringing effect on bright thin objects like brightly lit new and shiny chainwire fences with this and other cameras when there is a very slight movement in an otherwise locked off shot. I have also seen it with a Bolex 16mm film camera image which included shiny rail lines.

What was your camera setting? Did you shoot this in native 720P or upsampled in-camera to 1080P? Was it 1080i if that option exists and selected de-interlace when you imported the footage?

I have seen a similar artifact when I de-interlaced PD150 footage which was shot on a slightly vibrating fire-escape balcony. A horizontal timber rail got the shakes when the rest of the image was still.

Members here like Chris Barcellos, Tim Dashwood, Phil Bloom, Charles Papert will be better people to take heed of than me if they add to this post.

Last edited by Bob Hart; September 10th, 2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I think I agree

There was probably some "Third party" movement going on, making the moire effect raise its ugly head. I also saw eveidence of it if you look to the left of the seated man, along the rear edge of the bench and along that same edge above the padlock.
Tracy
Tracy Foust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #4
New Boot

Actually, I was the only person in the room... That's me in the frame. This is actually a gym on a cement foundation. The camera was on a pretty beefy tripod, about 8 feet from where I was sitting. Thanks, though!
Should have specified that in the original post... Probably should go back and update that...

Also, to answer a previous question, I was shooting 720p24 HQ.
David Elsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

That pretty much shoots my theories in the foot. However with a hard concrete floor, a heavy vehicle or bus going past will still tremble a tripod, mostly if the subsoil is sandy like here in Perth city. Is that gym floor a "soft" floor as in timber on rails laid onto the concrete slab. In that instance you will get vibration if there is anyone moving on it.

At the Barrack Street, St. George's Terrace junction on the northest corner, there was a light pole used to tremble with the traffic going by.

Other than these happenings it might just be a rare quirky compression artiifact.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I shoot 720p also. I used to get that all the time. I called it "shimmer" You will see it on straight lines (like door jams etc) Turn down the detail setting and it will get much better.

Try -6 or more. You can even try -8 or -9. If you turn OFF detail, it goes away completely, but the image is then very soft.

Good luck.
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of your insight.

David E.
David Elsea is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems