HM100 and Wirecast on a Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HM100 and Wirecast on a Mac

Hi,
Can I get a live feed from my HM100 into my Macbook Pro via USB? I'm afraid I know the answer to this, which makes me extra annoyed that firewire is no longer a default port on many cameras (or mac laptops for that matter!) I have done live webcasting with two firewire cameras using a cool program called Wirecast. It makes my laptop a switching and webcasting station. I want to take it on my next expedition, but now I use the JVC HM100. I was testing it tonight. I can make the Mac see the camera, but only to transfer data in its "Playback on PC" mode. I can excuse that menu and see the camera is back in camera mode, but then the laptop stops seeing it. If the laptop doesn't see it, Wirecast doesn't see it. Oh, I really don't want to have to bring extra cameras for this. Ugh. I am hoping against hope, that I am missing something on the JVC. Anyone know the answer to this? Most appreciated.

~ ~ Lisa
Lisa Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm not familar with your program, but I'm pretty certain that you cannot get a live feed from the USB. The USB is for copying files from your camera. You would need a capture card that is compatible with your program that uses HDMI, composite from the AV out, or component from the component out.

Cheers.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I miss firewire

Yeah, it's what I'm realizing, and I'm unhappy with that. Firewire could do it. But there are such things as USB webcams, so it doesn't seem like USB itself can't do it. I'm not sure here. But it does seem like the JVC cannot be used as a webcam out its own ports without a couple extra hoops to pass through.

Thinking the HV30 gets a trip to NZ.

~ ~ L
Lisa Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #4
New Boot

HM100 and Wirecast on a Mac

Lisa, if you have a 17" Macbook Pro or one of the older Macbook Pros with an expresscard slot you could look at using the Matrox MX02 mini which will capture HDMI input into Wirecast.

The mini is not officially supported by Wirecast but I have seen comments from people on the Wirecast Mac forum saying that it works. Clearly the performance of the system needs to be checked as well.

Mark

TTFN Home
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems