JVC GY-HM100 and tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old February 10th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #1
New Boot

JVC GY-HM100 and tripod

I am new to this forum and proud owner of HM100. I wonder if you turn the OIS off when you use JVC GY-HM100 and tripod ? When I use my Canon XM 2 (GL2) I always turn it of. Canon strongly recommend that. I do not know why. Maybe the OIS can not handle well small vibration from the tripod ?

FB
Finnur Bardarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Finnur,

It is standard practice to turn the OIS off when on a tripod with any video camera. If you leave it on, it can make your pans or tilts jump at times. Basically, the OIS is "fighting" your attempts to pan smoothly on the tripod.

It can be useful at times - e.g. if you are trying to shoot a static shot at full telephoto without panning or tilting, but generally it should be turned off.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for answering Mike, I was thinking the same. I made some tests with pans and you are right. I also found that a tiny gust of wind, causing vibration on the tripod (not visible) and I was not touching the tripod, made visible strange shake with OIS on. Like OIS was struggling to compensate for something it was not designed to do.
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:16 AM   #4
New Boot

Re: JVC GY-HM100 and tripod

Hello Finnur, I use my HM100 up a stepladder on a platform I have rigged up, this is so that when I go to shoot a band or play I don't have to ask for a table to stand on. I leave the OIS on because there is movement in the ladder. I have never had any problems because the OIS on the JVC is superb
Kevin Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #5
New Boot

Kevin, I am as many other confused about this topic. I my self have not noticed any difference. There is a difference between real world and theories.
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Trustee

This isn't a theory! OIS _can_ affect the smoothness of pans and tilts.

It is not universal; sometimes you notice it, sometimes you don't. But at some point OIS _will_ create a nasty jump in a smooth pan that you can't re-shoot, or don't notice 'til you get back to the edit suite. It's not specific to this camera, or JVC.

It's one thing having a camera locked off at the top of a ladder - if you don't move that much, then it'll be fine (and OIS will probably help a lot).

Searching a bit on these forums should turn up more information about this.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi MIke
My shots are steady for the most. Yesterday I used a very slow pan and I could see some stuttering. Then I turned the OIS off and made another. There was no stuttering, which confirms your statements. So in stead of google any more I think I will follow your advice. Tripod - no OIS. Handheld - always OIS.
Finnur Bardarson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems