Hot or Not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old June 10th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hot or Not?

Does anyone know if the accessory shoe on top of the handle (audio unit) is a "hot" shoe?

I had to rebuild a mount for a LED light source that mounts on an accessory shoe, and I had to make it with metal to support the weight of the unit. I'm wondering if sliding a piece of metal into the mount will have any adverse effects on the camcorder. I have already used the cam with my part in the shoe before it occurred to me that maybe I should have checked this first. The battery life seemed normal, but that's not to say I may not be harming the cam (or the battery) in the long run.

The documentation simply refers to it as accessory shoe, and you'd think they'd advertise it as "hot" if it was, but I just want to be sure I'm not damaging the cam by using my custom mount.
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Hot or Not?

While not totally familiar with your particular camera, I will say that I haven't seen a real "hot" shoe on a video camera is so many years that I can't even remember when I did see one. (possibly never but then I might just be forgeting the 1 or 2 video cameras that actually had a true "hot shoe")
The "hot shot" eminated from the old days of still cameras and was a way to sync a flash unit to the shutter. Not really something we worry about using video cameras. So I would say you aren't hurting the camera at all electronically speaking that is.
Old June 10th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Major Player

I believe Don is correct. "hot" shoes were really never an issue on video cameras. The only camera I can think of right now that has a "sort of" hot shoe is the Sony VG-10. It has two shoes, one a normal cold shoe mount, the other a Sony smart shoe to accommodate and sync a Sony flash unit for stills shooting.
That mount is a proprietory design though, it won't accept non-Sony equipment
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You are correct. The manual does not say anything about a "hot" shoe on this camera, it is just a mount for third accessory.
Anthony Schrijer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems