My New HM150u - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old October 7th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #16
New Boot

Re: My New HM150u

Its now 2 years later from this last post. I am looking for the best image I can get for the least price as far as cameras with xlr inputs.

I'm using the camera mostly for an indoor blog with perfect lighting, the ability to adjust settings not under pressure, and basically optimal studio settings. I can now get this camera slightly used for $1450.00 and versus a Canon XA10 at $1300.00 to same price.

I would be using Final Cut Pro also and I see that the JVC creates files that drop right into Final Cut. Additionally, I see that the JVC has 3 ccd progressive scan sensors versus Canons 1 cmos sensor.

Both cameras are still being sold and I don't see too many post for the JVC on this site after doing a search. So, I am also kind of wondering why?

I appreciate any feedback you can offer after using this camera over two years ago!

Thanks!
Michael DiLieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #17
Regular Crew

My New HM150u

I do lots of sports, action shots (in boats, cars, dune buggies etc) and shoot 720 60p almost all the time.
The HM150 is a REALLY good 720 60p camera. It is a good 1080i camera. If you take the time to adjust the picture profile, with Gamma, color balance, saturation, Knee, you can get a really good picture.
Plus the HM150 manual buttons and controls are great.

The CCD's made the final decision. I rarely get to set up a shot on a tripod, and shoot mellow scenes.
This is the last CCD Prosumer camera (around $1900) left. I really do not like rolling shutter, skew or jello-cam
Also, the HM150 records in uncompressed LCMP 16bit. This is good! XA10 uses compressed audio.

I have rented a XA10 for a wedding. If you like little sharper images, and don't do a lot of action, then the XA/10 may be the thing for you. It will not have has many manual controls, and you can only adjust the picture profile a little. The Canon overall picture is warmer than the HM150. Also, the Canon looks more clear, while the HM150 looks more like film to me. (It is the way the noise looks actually. They are a little different.)
There is a good review/test of the XA10 at Slashcam.com
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #18
New Boot

Re: My New HM150u

Thank you very much for the thorough answer. Especially for Slashcam.com reference. I'm really enjoying the research/ comparison tool they have. Thanks again!
Michael DiLieto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems