HM100 or Canon XA10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old March 9th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HM100 or Canon XA10

Hi All.

Looking at upgrading my standard def PD-150s to HD and looking at an HM100 or Canon XA10. Has anyone compared the 2 of these? How do they compare? I have used the XA10 and don't really love the menu controls but I haven't used any JVC cameras before. Anyone recommend the JVC over the XA10 or vice versa?

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: HM100 or Canon XA10

Hi Mark.
I used the HM100 for about 18 months, great camera in reasonable light, not the best when the light level is low, colours seem to wash out pretty quickly. Some footage from the hm100 here.
The scenes of the congregation were taken with a canon HV10 and HV30. The XA10 will perform far better in lower light. I believe JVC have recently released the HM150, I dont know a lot about this camera, mayby worth checking it out.
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the sample footage. Looks very nice. I was asking about the XA10 vs the HM100 because I have seen some used HM100's come out now for a price similar to the XA10 since the new HM150 is out. Looking for something around $1000 range but would go a little bit higher if it made sense.

Thanks
Mark
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #4
Major Player

The

shoots great images, and is better in low light - see the 12 lux picture comparison between the XA10 and the XM100 here:

http://camcorder-test.slashcam.com/c...32e64a58e.html

But the XA10 has consumer level controls (e.g. is heavily dependent on the touchscreen) and has no built-in ND filter.

If you can get an HM100 for $2000 (that's what you meant, not $1000, right?), like this used unit for $1850 at Adorama -- I'd say buy it. Great images in good light and no CMOS skew.

At the $2000 price point, I'd also consider the

- yes, it's a CMOS camera, but a shoulder mounted camera means less money spent on rigs.

Good luck with your decision,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by Bill Bruner; March 12th, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Trustee

to me the main difference between two is CCD vs CMOS, with all coming with that attributes;
Canon might be a bit better in low light due to a larger sensor, but MXF as a codec is much lighter than AVCHD, and it's 35Mbps vs 24 on XA10,
i would probably choose JVC
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks very much for the comments. I think as much as I would like the JVC it looks like it may be out of the question as I have not been able to find mention of a LANC port for remote control.

Coming from PD-150s and HVR-Z1U, I am making a major step getting any of these cameras. I would like to get an AX2000 or NX5U but can't justify the cost now or even in the foreseeable future. At this price range it is a bit of a battle trying to work out which is best, either high-end handycam or entry level prosumer. I know 3 chips are better than one, but are 3 x 1/4" chips better than 1 x 1/3"? I would like the HMC-80 but haven't really heard much about them in English. Seems to be more popular in other countries though. Everyone is talking about the Canon HF G10 and XA10 as the starl at this price range, but is there is anything better for a little more, or would I have to spend another $1000 to get noticeably better.

For now I think I will be buying the HF G10 and get a beachtek or juiced link or get the XA10. It has the LANC port which is almost a requirement for me since I do a lot of tripod work. Just a little bit concerned putting the money down on something I may or may not be happy with. I know i would be most comfortable with an NX5U or something similar but I know that is out of the question. I will just have to get comfortable with something else lol.

Thanks again for the help.
Mark

Last edited by Mark Chafe; March 14th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Mark- There is no lanc port on the HM100.
Have you considered the Panasonic TM900 http://panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/hd/900_800_series/
This is a truly amazing little camera, I use mine regularly alongside my EX1, stunning picture quality, check out the thread on it on the forum. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...rs-thread.html
A new model is about to be released. http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...400/index.html
Here is some footage from my TM900 Panasonic TM900 Wedding. Kirsten & Ben - YouTube

Last edited by Colin Rowe; March 14th, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Mark,

I have a

and am by no means biased against prosumer palmcorders, but it has no LANC port either.

Understand that you are primarily a tripod shooter, but are you planning to use this camera handheld at any point? If so, you will probably end up buying some kind of shoulder rig. For small chip camcorder folks in the $2000 price segment, I've started to recommend the

because it is the only shoulder mounted 1080p camera with XLR inputs at this price point. All I'm saying is - if you're going to end up buying a rig anyway, why not buy a shoulder mounted camera in the first place?

Event DV Live full review here: Event DV Live - Spring 2011

Sample video here:

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Chafe View Post
I think as much as I would like the JVC it looks like it may be out of the question as I have not been able to find mention of a LANC port for remote control.
that's why i got HF G10, i needed a small camera with just a scratch sound, sitting permanently on the jib, and i like it very much.
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I haven't seen much about the Panasonic HMC-80 but I do like the shoulder mount. I prefer shoulder mount, but knowing that it is just an HMC-40 in a bigger case, how would it compare to the XA10 or HFG10? Also there are a few HMC-70's coming on the market now at good prices, however they do not have as many manual controls outside of the menus.

Sorry for all the questions but im finding it very difficult to find a replacement for my prosumer cams and want to get the most bang for the buck considering my limited budget.

Thanks again
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems