DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Help ! - What size filter for GY-HM150? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hm-150-100-70-series-camera-systems/516777-help-what-size-filter-gy-hm150.html)

David Fox May 24th, 2013 12:33 AM

Help ! - What size filter for GY-HM150?

Hi Guys - I'm really hoping someone can help with this. I want to fit a uv protection filter to the front of the HM150 wide angle adapter lens. It's a Zunow WAJ-07 - the web site says the adapter has a 77mm mount (which I don't think it does!) and a 105mm filter can be fitted in the lens hood, which it most certainly can't. - I ordered one from the spec off the web site and it's way too big for the lens or the hood.

AFAIK the standard lens will take a 46mm filter ring, I had one fitted on my HM100, but what size filter ring fits the wide angled adapter - your input would be much appreciated!

I'm off to do some filming on the footplate of a steam locomotive and need some protection for the lens!

Thanks in advance, as always for an interesting and most informative forum!

Petter Flink May 24th, 2013 05:40 AM

Re: Help ! - What size filter for GY-HM150?

To be sure I would send JVC pro in UK an email and ask them.
They have such an outstanding track record on customer care so I'm sure they will supply you with all needed info on both lens and hood filter diameters.

David Fox May 24th, 2013 08:21 AM

Petter, thanks for your reply...

I spoke to a guy from JVC pro and was told that since JVC didn't actually manufacture the lens, they had no information about it.
I did also send an email, thinking it might get routed to someone that was familiar with the product, but I have had no reply yet.

Mike Beckett May 24th, 2013 12:52 PM

David,

The manual is available online at various places, including: Frank's thoughts on HDV - Documentation Index

It says 46mm with lens hood removed, 72mm with it attached. Not sure if I'd like to attach a 72mm to the lens hood, I'm sure it's more at risk of reflections and flare, but then I've never handled this camera.

Petter Flink May 26th, 2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Fox (Post 1797143)
Petter, thanks for your reply...

I spoke to a guy from JVC pro and was told that since JVC didn't actually manufacture the lens, they had no information about it.
I did also send an email, thinking it might get routed to someone that was familiar with the product, but I have had no reply yet.

I see.

Have you sent Zunow an email as well?
They if any should know about their product.

I'm using a Raynox 6600 52mm on my HM150.
It comes without hood but I've attached the hood for XH-A1. It works but is not optimal though its very cost effective.

David Fox August 2nd, 2013 07:55 AM

Thank you all for your input, sorry I've not been back before now but the issue has been resolved.

For anyone that's interested, the standard lens on the camera takes a 46mm filter. The Zunow wide angle adaptor takes a 72mm filter which threads straight on to the lens, not the hood as it suggests in the manual. As Mike pointed out, having the filter on the end of the hood would, I'm sure give rise to more problems than it would solve.

Hmm - I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my HM150E to a HM600E, off to the other forum for some feedback..