DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Tape jumps (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/100081-tape-jumps.html)

John Moon July 30th, 2007 08:14 AM

Tape jumps

We logged some footage from a wedding and this particular tape jumps a frame and seems to be timed the same time each time. Probably a bad tape because we have used the same camera after without any problems. So....the million dollar question is: Is there anything we can do in post to correct this?
Thanks,
John

Dawn Brennan July 30th, 2007 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Moon (Post 720586)
We logged some footage from a wedding and this particular tape jumps a frame and seems to be timed the same time each time. Probably a bad tape because we have used the same camera after without any problems. So....the million dollar question is: Is there anything we can do in post to correct this?
Thanks,
John

I am curious... which tapes are you using?? I use Sony Premium, and I have had a similar problem lately with several tapes. When I layed one tape over another for a multi-cam edit, the jumps/skips happened at the exact same time. Thankfully, the cameras weren't turned on at the exact same time, so we were able to edit around it.

Anyway, I am wondering if it isn't an ongoing problem...

Sean Johnson July 30th, 2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn Brennan (Post 720593)
I am curious... which tapes are you using?? I use Sony Premium, and I have had a similar problem lately with several tapes. When I layed one tape over another for a multi-cam edit, the jumps/skips happened at the exact same time. Thankfully, the cameras weren't turned on at the exact same time, so we were able to edit around it.

Anyway, I am wondering if it isn't an ongoing problem...

i also use those tapes and a couple of times i've gotten those skips. its going to cause problems during capture. the problem being the audio out of sync. all you can really do is manually sync the audio back up after the skip. or you can capture to the skip. stop. then start capturing again after it. i hope this helps.

Steven Davis July 30th, 2007 10:46 AM

If I understand your 'jump' correctly, I've seen this on the Maxell Red tapes, the one's from Sams Club. I wish I knew what it was, but who knows. The issue is rare with me, rare enough that I know better than to only run one camera at a wedding, so we can edit around it.

John Moon July 30th, 2007 12:05 PM

The tapes I have been using is the Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ. The jump occurs throughout the entire tape. It's as if you cut one frame out causing the image to "jump" ever so slightly.

John

Steven Davis July 30th, 2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Moon (Post 720706)
The tapes I have been using is the Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ. The jump occurs throughout the entire tape. It's as if you cut one frame out causing the image to "jump" ever so slightly.

John

Wow, hmmm, did you notice anything on the LCD when you were recording?

Dawn Brennan July 30th, 2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Johnson (Post 720661)
i also use those tapes and a couple of times i've gotten those skips. its going to cause problems during capture. the problem being the audio out of sync. all you can really do is manually sync the audio back up after the skip. or you can capture to the skip. stop. then start capturing again after it. i hope this helps.

Not that I am glad you are having problems, but I am glad it isn't just me! During capture, I do sometimes have problems, like you said, but I also get this weird thing where the audio is fine, but there is no video for a frame or 2, so if I do 2 tracks at once, it'll flash to the bottom track for a frame or 2 because there is nothing on the top one. Very annoying and almost impossible to track unless you sit there and watch the whole thing w/o blinking :)

I never had the problem with the Sony HD tapes, but they are so darned expensive, I tried these instead. I'm actually going to check and see if there is a grade inbetween to try. That is after I finish the case of these I just bought!

John Moon July 30th, 2007 05:24 PM

Steve: Didn't notice anything on the LCD. We are trying a recapture to see if that might solve the problem.

Heather Darling August 1st, 2007 08:25 PM

Ive had the similar problem happen on a rare occasion while digitizing. I think it could be a problem with "dirty" heads. When I run a head cleaner and try it again it clears up.

Hope this helps!

John Moon August 3rd, 2007 04:31 PM

Thanks Heather. We captured the tape again and cleared up the problem. Strange.