Tape jumps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 30th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Tape jumps

We logged some footage from a wedding and this particular tape jumps a frame and seems to be timed the same time each time. Probably a bad tape because we have used the same camera after without any problems. So....the million dollar question is: Is there anything we can do in post to correct this?
Thanks,
John
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
We logged some footage from a wedding and this particular tape jumps a frame and seems to be timed the same time each time. Probably a bad tape because we have used the same camera after without any problems. So....the million dollar question is: Is there anything we can do in post to correct this?
Thanks,
John
I am curious... which tapes are you using?? I use Sony Premium, and I have had a similar problem lately with several tapes. When I layed one tape over another for a multi-cam edit, the jumps/skips happened at the exact same time. Thankfully, the cameras weren't turned on at the exact same time, so we were able to edit around it.

Anyway, I am wondering if it isn't an ongoing problem...
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Brennan View Post
I am curious... which tapes are you using?? I use Sony Premium, and I have had a similar problem lately with several tapes. When I layed one tape over another for a multi-cam edit, the jumps/skips happened at the exact same time. Thankfully, the cameras weren't turned on at the exact same time, so we were able to edit around it.

Anyway, I am wondering if it isn't an ongoing problem...
i also use those tapes and a couple of times i've gotten those skips. its going to cause problems during capture. the problem being the audio out of sync. all you can really do is manually sync the audio back up after the skip. or you can capture to the skip. stop. then start capturing again after it. i hope this helps.
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If I understand your 'jump' correctly, I've seen this on the Maxell Red tapes, the one's from Sams Club. I wish I knew what it was, but who knows. The issue is rare with me, rare enough that I know better than to only run one camera at a wedding, so we can edit around it.
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Major Player

The tapes I have been using is the Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ. The jump occurs throughout the entire tape. It's as if you cut one frame out causing the image to "jump" ever so slightly.

John
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
The tapes I have been using is the Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ. The jump occurs throughout the entire tape. It's as if you cut one frame out causing the image to "jump" ever so slightly.

John
Wow, hmmm, did you notice anything on the LCD when you were recording?
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Johnson View Post
i also use those tapes and a couple of times i've gotten those skips. its going to cause problems during capture. the problem being the audio out of sync. all you can really do is manually sync the audio back up after the skip. or you can capture to the skip. stop. then start capturing again after it. i hope this helps.
Not that I am glad you are having problems, but I am glad it isn't just me! During capture, I do sometimes have problems, like you said, but I also get this weird thing where the audio is fine, but there is no video for a frame or 2, so if I do 2 tracks at once, it'll flash to the bottom track for a frame or 2 because there is nothing on the top one. Very annoying and almost impossible to track unless you sit there and watch the whole thing w/o blinking :)

I never had the problem with the Sony HD tapes, but they are so darned expensive, I tried these instead. I'm actually going to check and see if there is a grade inbetween to try. That is after I finish the case of these I just bought!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Major Player

Steve: Didn't notice anything on the LCD. We are trying a recapture to see if that might solve the problem.
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ive had the similar problem happen on a rare occasion while digitizing. I think it could be a problem with "dirty" heads. When I run a head cleaner and try it again it clears up.

Hope this helps!
Heather Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Heather. We captured the tape again and cleared up the problem. Strange.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line