JVC Pro HD v Sony Master on the GY HD cams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Major Player

JVC Pro HD v Sony Master on the GY HD cams

Now I know this subject has been beaten to death, but it's very difficult to gauge a consensus here, and in fact don't even think there is one??

I've shot on SP, Digi, DV Cam and DVC Pro for donkeys years and never heard anyone mention the 'once you use one brand of stock...stick with it'! phrase. I've chopped and changed stock brand hundreds of times! I only ever use the same brands when using Digi and DV Cam, but not through choice. I've never had any problems with either.

Now, I recently purchased a GY-HD200 for a dabble in HD (which I find I'm shooting on a lot now)! I got two boxes of JVC Pro HD tapes with the camera and I have to say, I'm not overly impressed so far. The odd dropout here and there, which, on a new camera and new stock is not really acceptable.

So, plenty of people rave about the Sony Master (and the specs seem to be better). I was just about to order a load, then saw the forum threads!! Don't change or mix stock!!!!

So, I'd love to know if there is a definitive consensus on this subject. I'd like to go with the Sony, but am a little anxious now!! ..and also, why will I encounter problems here where I've never before?? Also, the Sony are much easier to get hold of and the full size tapes are much cheaper and easier to get.

I've also got a BR-HD50 for playback.

Sorry to drag up an old subject, but I'd love someone to help me make my mind up..pretty please!!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Can't believe no-one has an opinion on this? Surely?
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Major Player

I think the general consensus is that there is no consencus. I made a post on this subject a few months back, and the few people who posted seemed pretty evenly split over which tape stock suited them best.

edit: for the record, I've used the JVC pro's and Panasonic master DV tapes (I only changed to panasonic because I couldn't find a convenient supplier of JVC pro's). I use the HD101 and I've had few noticeable problems
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line