What happens if you play DVX 100/a footage on a non-Panasonic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 20th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #1
New Boot

What happens if you play DVX 100/a footage on a non-Panasonic?

Okay, so I have some footage that won't import into Final Cut, despite my very best efforts to employ every possible combination of import settings. I can import any other tape in my collection without problems; it's just this tape.

I have reason to suspect that it was shot on a Panasonic DVX 100/a/b, but before I go out and rent one I am wondering if there's any way to know without taking that step.

I can watch the footage on my canon, I just have dropped frames/tape trouble messages within a second of trying to import it. On my canon the framerate is a bit choppy, but only barely.

Does this sound like it could possibly be from a Panasonic 24p solution? Would that fit what I'm seeing?

Thanks for any help!
Garrett
Garrett Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Trustee

Canon and Panasonic don't always play nice together in DV. My DVX-100A tapes play without sound on my Canon XLH1. Both types of DV tapes play back fine on my Sony DSR-45. If you shot 24P Advanced you might be seeing the pull down which should be removed to see proper motion. If it is tape incompatibility then getting a Panasonic camcorder or a deck should solve your problem. Not all camcorders can playback other manufacturers tapes even though the format is supposed to be the same.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

After shooting on the Panasonic DVX-100A, we tried capturing on a Canon GL2 and the audio would "skip" in & out (mostly out). We ended up using a cheap Panasonic to read the tape & capture into FCP. That's my experience.
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:38 AM   #4
Major Player

That is sort of unusual, because I shot with a DVX100a and captured with a cheap Canon Optura several years ago, and I had no issues whatsoever. Though honestly, I may have been shooting 30i...I can't remember exactly.
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I beginning to wonder if it has to do with the encoding of the 3CCD cameras, maybe going from a 3CCD to a 1CCD works?
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM   #6
New Boot

Has anyone for sure shot Pana 24p footage and then looked at it from a Canon/JVC/Sony? I guess that would answer my question. I'm just trying to figure out why FCP won't import this footage.

No audio skipping when I play it back on the GL2, by the way. Any ideas??
Garrett Gibbons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line