New tape, I thought. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Major Player

New tape, I thought.

Weird thing, I opened a brand new box of Sony DV Cam 184 tapes today to master a show to. All 10 tapes were in the box with the plastic wrapper still around them all. I chose a tape in the middle then walked it back to the edit room, inserted in deck and hit rewind to make sure tape was tight then hit play to get some pre-roll and suddenly noticed there was footage on the tape. The footage was on the entire tape 180+minutes of footage including NCAA basketball when tubby Smith was coaching Kentucky, parts of the "Big Labowski Movie", and commercials. It looks as though there was a deck connected to a TV dumping the footage to tape. Has this ever happened to anyones new tape stock they have ordered. I thought it may have been a quality control tape they accidentally put in a box of tapes for sale. Very weird Monday.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Perhaps call or contact your supplier... figure out what happened.

Also, you paid for new tapes, you should be receiving new tapes. Because if you are letting them sell you used tapes (that they didn't properly erase or whatever), they are making a lot of money (that they probably shouldn't, because you can just as easily buy used tape on eBay yourself).

2- It could also be somebody else where you work that might have accidentally put the tape there or something like that.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan View Post
2- It could also be somebody else where you work that might have accidentally put the tape there or something like that.
He said they still had the plastic wrapper around them. Somebody messed up or is selling bogus merchandise.

Wow, if those were supposedly brand new tapes, I'd say you got less than your money's worth.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Contributor

There used to be a company that sold "1-pass" tapes they would degausse, and they'd clean the boxes and give you new labels and charge less than new tapes. Of course you had to take their word the tapes were "1-pass." Could be that's still going on, only now they're selling them as new. Did you buy from a reputable dealer or from some discount place?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Major Player

A very reputable place and never in hundreds of boxes of all differnet format tapes has this happened. We have sent it back and thanked them for giving us a movie to watch for alittle while, just glad it wasnt an Oprah episode.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. McCloskey View Post
We have sent it back and thanked them for giving us a movie to watch for alittle while, just glad it wasnt an Oprah episode.
LOL... An interesting experience that will make me a little more cautious, AND that gave me a hearty laugh. Thanks
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Newsed?

Twice in 20 years we have opened sealed boxes to find used tape. How they got there remains a mystery. Even lost a client over it once.

There are dealers who, particularly in the height of Beta recycling, were notorious for repackaging tapes and representing them as something they were not. With the demise of tape evaluation, I think that problem has largely gone away. They'll have to screw ya some OTHER way.

cb

BS, Radio-TV-Film, University of Texas

http://www.pro-tape.com

Adobe - AJA - Apple - Avid - Audio Technica - Bogen - Canon - Denon - Digidesign - Fuji - Gitzo - JVC - Lowell - Marantz - Maxell - Panasonic - Primera - Rimage - Samson - Sennheiser - Sony - TDK - Varizoom - Waves - more!
Craig Berlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line