My DSR-11 is glitchy - how to fix? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 9th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #16
Major Player

I got rid of my DSR-11 because the heads were constantly getting clogged...I was running a head cleaner through it very often. Some times I had to run the cleaner twice to get it to work right. I did have to have it professionally cleaned by sony once because the head cleaner just wasn't doing the job.

ALSO, as someone else said...make sure the tapes were recorded in SP mode because the DSR-11 wont play LP and what you are describing does sound like the playback behavior when you feed the deck an LP tape.
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #17
Regular Crew

There are 2 sets of switches on the back of the XL2. One set for +48KHZ, the other for Mic Att. The set for the +48KHZ (both CH1/3 and CH2/4) is set to off, and I'm fairly certain would have been during recording. Could that be the problem?

Obviously, I have no idea what these switches are for.

Given the error message that I got from FCP and that it seems like things get more glitchy the more chaotic the b-roll is (like a train going by or heavy wind passing the mic), I'm feeling like it's an audio settings/alignment problem. Not that I know what I'm talking about, really, but given the loose collection of antecdotal evidence I have, that's where things seem to point ... especially since the guy I got the deck from had no troubles (while he was shooting on a Panisonic DVX100).

B
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett OBourke View Post
There are 2 sets of switches on the back of the XL2. One set for +48KHZ, the other for Mic Att. The set for the +48KHZ (both CH1/3 and CH2/4) is set to off, and I'm fairly certain would have been during recording. Could that be the problem?

Obviously, I have no idea what these switches are for.
B
Those are for Phantom power for external mics.
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Well, I'm stumped. I guess I'll try to call Sony and see if they have any advice. And once we're done shooting, I'll send the camera in to Canon for a tune up. Meanwhile, I'm back logging on the Elura 80 and, it seems, dropped a $1,000 on a useless deck.

Thanks much for all the help. I'll post an update when I finally locate a fix.

B
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line