Tapes by the same manufacturer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old May 10th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Trustee

Tapes by the same manufacturer?

Hi guys.

Ok, I've read countless threads on tape stock and seen many differing opinions on the do's and don’ts.

What I haven't really come across is using different tape by one manufacturer? I'm guessing they will all be either wet or dry tapes from the same manufacturer...? and thus be ok to use standard tape for less important stuff while using HD tape for stuff you can't risk a dropout on ??

This is shooting HDV on the JVC Hd110 by the way.

Cheers
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
Hi guys.

Ok, I've read countless threads on tape stock and seen many differing opinions on the do's and don’ts.

What I haven't really come across is using different tape by one manufacturer? I'm guessing they will all be either wet or dry tapes from the same manufacturer...? and thus be ok to use standard tape for less important stuff while using HD tape for stuff you can't risk a dropout on ??

This is shooting HDV on the JVC Hd110 by the way.

Cheers
Mat
The mixing tape stock debate is not a myth, but not everyone who mixes tape stock experiences it. I HAVE and therefore I only use one stock in each of my cameras: in my Sony PD150 I use EXCLUSIVELY Sony PDVM-40 DVCam stock or DVM60PR DV stock. In my brand new JVC GY-HD200U, I will be using JVC ProHD stock exclusively. I stand to be corrected but I believe each manufacturer uses only one technology ("wet" or "dry") across their entire stock line.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line