where to buy used Hi8 for transfer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #1
New Boot

where to buy used Hi8 for transfer

hi

I live in Los Angeles, CA. I'm looking for a Hi8 camcorder with a Firewire interface to transfrer Hi8 tapes to digital. Recording video is not a priority at all.

Does anyone know a reputable dealer whom I can contact or does anyone know where I can purchase said camcorder. I do prefer Sony.

Thanks

Chuck S
Los Angeles, CA
Chuck Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't think Sony is making Digi8 cameras anymore. You could certainly buy one used on eBay (be careful) or you might take a look at this:

GV-D200 | GV-D200 Digital8<sup>®</sup> Video Walkman<sup>™</sup> VCR | Sony | SonyStyle USA
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Did Hi8 utilize firewire??? I don't think it did. It's an analogue format, not digital. Digital 8 cameras did, and some were also backwards compatible I think. But if you can find an old Hi8 camera, you'll need to transpose the tapes to digital through a trancoder/deck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Contributor

Even though your tapes are Hi-8, you'll need a Digital 8 camcorder to transfer them via firewire. The digi8 will play both, but a Hi-8 won't play a digi8. EBay is probably your best bet to try to find a used one.

B&H still sells the old Video Walkman, which is a Digital 8 deck with firewire, and it will play your Hi-8 tapes.

(Google is your friend)
Digital 8 & DV VCRs | B&H Photo Video

Personally, I would look for a cheap Digital 8 camera. But the format died almost before it came out, so there aren't all that many of them around.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Silverman View Post
I'm looking for a Hi8 camcorder with a Firewire interface ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
Did Hi8 utilize firewire? I don't think it did.
There's no such thing as a Hi8 camcorder with FireWire.

However most (not all, but most) Sony Digital8 camcorders have FireWire, and they can play back Hi8 tapes. The Sony GV-D200 Digital8 deck is probably the best way to go, if you can find one.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Wrangler

I have a lot of old Hi-8 archive tapes of our performances, and fortunately our ancient Sony camera still works. I have been gradually converting them to DVD, using an s-video connection to a DVD recorder. If you don't need to edit the footage then you might consider this approach. Afterwards I just rip the DVD's and store the images on a firewire drive for future use.

If you can't find a digital 8 camera, then this box is a cheap way to go from analog to firewire with a Hi-8 camera: ADS Technologies | Pyro A/V Link Bidirectional | API-558-EFS
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line