Anyone tried Fuji tape? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old November 21st, 2002, 02:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone tried Fuji tape?

does anyone know the difference bewteen the standard fuji dvm60 and the Fuji DVM60x5B (japanese writing on tape)? are both of these tapes "dry tapes"? if fuji makes panasonic tapes is there a problem going back and fro?

mb4
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 03:08 AM   #2
Outer Circle

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm

Probably the same..., I wouldn't advise switching back and forth (to be on the safe side). Fuji has made some of the tape for Panasonic, some of the time. It seems now that Pana is making there own, for now. (I heard there are 5 tape factories, at this time.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 02:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

are you still using fuji tapes or have you changed brands? what head cleaner would you recommend? panasonic?

mb4
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2002, 03:31 AM   #4
Outer Circle

I'm still using Fuji in my 2 DVL9500s. Since I cleaned my heads about 3 years ago? and switched to Fuji, I haven't had to clean my tapes since. In the MX300 cam I gave away to a family member, I only used Panasonic (with no problems). With the MX300 I still have, I have a fuji tape in it---and will be sticking with Fuji.

Regarding head cleaning tapes, it doesn't make a difference which brand you use. I have a JVC cleaning tape and a Pana cleaning tape. The real trick is to clean your heads once---like for 5 seconds---and stick with one good brand. I believe Fuji is the best. But this is my opinion, based on a tape test (a shootout / scientific test I read), other stuff I read, and with my own experience.

The thing about Fuji is that the quality is always high and always the same. Some other brands aren't always the same (and sometimes are not high quality).

I've read horror stories about Maxell and TDK, horror stories on switching/mixing tapes, (and I have my own horror stories from personal experience). The very worst tape that I have used is JVC tape. This is my BIG horror story! I've had no problems with Panasonics in my cam (the MX I gave away), but I have had problems with other cams I've used, with Panasonic tape. Sony tapes have also given me problems a few years back (with other people's cams), but I used the PD100A with Sony DVCAM tapes, and had no problems.
Old August 17th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #5
Tourist

Anyone tried Fuji DVCAM tape?

It's fairly difficult to find, but Fuji came out with their "DV131" line of non-memory DVCAM tape a while back, but given tape lubricant incompatibilities and such I've been too chicken to try it and have stayed with Sony.

However, given my recent Sony DVCAM dropout problems, I'm wondering if the Fuji is worth a try or if it's just relabeled Sony stock.

Anyone know? Anyone tried it? Any reviews?

I swear by Fuji H471S for SVHS and their M221MP Hi8 line always served me well, but given that DV131 seems to be really rare (a google search turned up one U.S. web source) I thought I'd ask...
William Kucharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #6
Contributor

I used nothng but Fuji Betacam SP tape for about a dozen years and never had a problem. Since going to DVCAM just over 3 years ago, I've been using nothing but Sony DVCAM tape. In several hundred hours of DVCAM tape in 3 different cameras I've never seen a dropout (mostly full size cassettes, but I use the DVCAM 40's in the TRV900).

You might check with www.thetapeguys.com. Good prices, and if you call up and ask Ray League about different tape, he won't BS you.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #7
Skyonic New York

fyi to fuji minidv tape users

my last two orders came in with no 5pack cartons...i just spoke to my distributer fuji will no longer sell them that way, they are now being sold loose...

this does somewhat effect us, i can see how some of you don't care..

i think this might be a cost savings thing, however the price has not come down...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 06:14 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Your "distributer" is full of hogwash, in my opinion.
Old January 24th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #9
New Boot

Fuji DVM60AME or CME??

I am using Fuji tapes in my DV953 and they are marked DVM60AME E. I see some tapes for sale on ebay and they are advertised as DVM60CME E. Any idea if these are different and if so, what the difference is? Thanks for any help.

Brian
Brian De Leenheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I use the Fuji dv tape in my GS100k. As far as I can tell from the Fuji site, They only make one type of tape and it comes in two different links 60 min and 80 min. Maybe Frank will see this thread and share some of his knowledge about this great tape.
Paul Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #11
Outer Circle

Fuji tape is all the same. Packaging in different countries may have different codes.
Old February 25th, 2004, 07:00 PM   #12
New Boot

Going from Fuji to Panasonic DV Tape

Lately, my XL1s and GL2 cameras have been getting more dropouts on my Fuji tapes. I don't reuse my tapes; they are allways brand new.

I've read good things about the Panasonic MQ series tapes, and would like to switch to them permanently.

I've also read I should clean my camera before switching brands, so is the normal 5 second cleaning tape enough?

Since they are both 'dry' tapes, is this really an issue?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #13
Outer Circle

Good one. You're going from Fuji to Fuji-made Pana. :-))
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #14
New Boot

I guess I'm not sure how to compare the Fuji tapes to the two Panasonic tapes (PQ or MQ). If someone were to confirm that the Fuji tapes are similiar in quality to the Panasonic MQ, then I might not change. But if they are more like the PQ, then I would change to hopefully get better results.

Ron
Ron Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 11:40 PM   #15
Outer Circle

In my 1st MX cam I used Pana tape. With the rest of my cams, Fuji. I haven't had problems with either. If Pana tape costs more than Fuji, why switch? If they're cheaper, why not? None of the pro's I know have had problems with Fuji, and they had learned about Fuji from the school of hard knocks, or so it seems. However, I do have some other friends who have been switching back and forth between Sony and Pana for years, because of problems; but these problems were most likely due from swithing and mixing, mixing and switching. So, things go around for them, including the buying of the latest/greatest cam---never satisfied and always looking for greener grass...and, of course, they never seem to get anything done. :-)) Thankfully, they all have day jobs not related to the video industry, so that they can stay in the game. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line