miniDV Tape differences between brands? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 20th, 2002, 02:51 PM   #1
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

miniDV Tape differences between brands?

Maybe this belongs in the GL-1 Forum but it's also a general question.

Does it really matter what brand of miniDV tape you use?

I own a Canon GL-1 and it has been suggested to me to only use Canon miniDV tapes just because I'll get better quality video. However, they are more expensive than other brands like JVC or Panasonic.

I'm not recording broadcast or recording professional video...it's more for personal use. I still want good quality video. Should I stick with Canon tapes or it doesn't matter (go with cheaper)?
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 03:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Canon is just repackaged Panasonic tape. You gain nothing by going with the Canon tape. I'd recommend picking one high quality brand, such as Panasonic, and staying with it. Specifically, don't mix brands with different lubricants -- there's enough anecdotal evidence that this will cause problems.

This info is true for any digitital camera. You can get these tapes through Chris' sponsors.
Old March 20th, 2002, 03:21 PM   #3
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

doh! like what kind of problems. I've been using canon and JVC lately. what other brands are good to stick with?
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 04:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

All atpes should deliver the same video quality since it is digital. But certain (cheaper) brands may have a drop out or two. I would stay away from Sony brand videotapes on ALL platforms, as their tapes have proven to be far more abrasive than other brands. They probably want to wear out your video heads quicker so you will go out and buy the latest and greatest Sony equipment. Part of that whole "planned obscolecence" thing I guess.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 04:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Regarding the problems, there is a school of thought that mixing tape brands with different lubricants can cause head clogging, leading to drop-outs. Others, based on their own experiences, might disagree.

You won't get in trouble, though, by picking one brand and using their higher quality tapes. Regardlesss of the tapes, it's also a good idea to send the camera in for service once per year for a "tune-up" and cleaning.
Old March 20th, 2002, 06:35 PM   #6
Machinist Mate

I've used nothing but Panasonic since getting my XL1 (OK, a couple of Maxells) and had zero problems. As mentioned above, Panasonic makes the Canon tapes anyway. I usually manage to find them pretty affordably on eBay.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line