Time Code Headaches at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old November 9th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Time Code Headaches

My deck (and thus Final Cut) is reading time code differently than when I logged it on my PD170. Which is creating a capture nightmare. I guess I'll try to capture from my camera so it matches what I logged and wrote down. But I can't do that all the time. Any suggestions what might be going on? Thanks.

Deck is a Sony GVD-1000.
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I'm sure I overstate the obvious but I need to ask anyway: you are viewing Timecode and not Control Track Counter while playing back in VTR, correct?

I've never heard of a TC related issue like yours before. Is it offset by a certain number (you can take care of TC offset in FCP) or is it another problem altogether?
Old November 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Major Player

In my camera on the LCD panel it shows as 14:09:26:03, in the upper right of the display when playing in VCR mode. In Final Cut, it shows as 00:17:30:11 in the counter on the top right above the picture in the Log and Capture section. On the deck in the upper right display on the LCD, 0:17:30:11.
Am I making a really dumb mistake here, somewhere, or is there possibly an issue with my equipment?
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #4
Trustee

Certainly sounds like the deck is reading control track and not Timecode. Not sure why the GVD-1000 wouldn't be reading the timecode but that is where I would look at the manual. I don't see any mention of DVCAM in the manual which is the only way Sony let you record Timecode as opposed to counter in DV mode. Maybe the deck can't read the Timecode. Have you gotten it to work before? If you can't get the deck to read the timecode then you can't expect Final Cut to either. Your camera is the best bet then.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #5
Major Player

I usually log the timecode from the deck rather than watch it in the camera, so I assume it was working before, but haven't tested it.
I'll look tomorrow and see how to reset the deck.
I'd have to check the settings in the camera, but I'm pretty sure it was in DVCAM mode since that's how I usually do it. Also the flasher came on at 5 min left for the tape, and I don't think it had been 60 min so it must have been DVCAM.
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Contributor

Try capturing with the camera and see what FCP reads. That would let you know if the deck's not reading properly. Have you captured DVCAM with that deck before?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell Smith View Post
In my camera on the LCD panel it shows as 14:09:26:03
I find it weird that your tape shows a start at 14 hours. Is this a reused tape? Or are you shooting DVCAM instead of DV, and you chose a starting timecode for your tape?

Timecode on the camera should start at 0 hours, unless you set it manually in DVCAM mode.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #8
Major Player

I'll have to do a capture test with the camera.
The tapes were brand new out of the package.
That counter in the LCD on the pd170, at the top right in VCR mode, that's time code, right?
As far as I am aware it has been in DVCAM mode - I just leave it there.
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Did you have your settings in the camera set to free-run vs rec-run? That maybe what your seeing in FCP is rec-run.
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post

Timecode on the camera should start at 0 hours, unless you set it manually in DVCAM mode.
In DVCam mode, the camera will continue from the last timecode used rather than resetting to 00:00:00:00 when a new tape is installed. In DV mode, it will reset to 00:00:00:00.
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Lee View Post
Did you have your settings in the camera set to free-run vs rec-run? That maybe what your seeing in FCP is rec-run.
Free Run and Record Run affect the way the timecode is written to the data track (and assumedly the VITC as well) so Timecode is Timecode, once it hits tape. Free Run generated Timecode would have TC breaks between takes whereas Rec Run would not but it's not as if there are two different timecodes written to the same tape.
Old December 25th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
In DVCam mode, the camera will continue from the last timecode used rather than resetting to 00:00:00:00 when a new tape is installed. In DV mode, it will reset to 00:00:00:00.
Are you sure, Shaun? You mean if I manually set a tape to start at 01:00:00:00 and record and hour, take it out and insert another tape, that tape will automatically start at around 02:00:00:00? I always thought the next one would ALSO start at 01:00:000:00 unless you changed the preset.

But I rarely use DVCAM mode, so I'm not sure.
Old December 26th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Nope, Vito. On Sony decks, you would be required to go back into the menu, reselect Timecode "mode", and select Timecode PRESET to set the TC back to one hour in your example. That's a holdover from the Betacam days at least. Again, this is DVCam only. "Standard" DV mode always wants to reset TC to 00:00:00:00 so "you'll know how long your recording is".
Old December 27th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Nope, Vito. On Sony decks, you would be required to go back into the menu, reselect Timecode "mode", and select Timecode PRESET to set the TC back to one hour in your example. That's a holdover from the Betacam days at least. Again, this is DVCam only. "Standard" DV mode always wants to reset TC to 00:00:00:00 so "you'll know how long your recording is".
So then if you do nothing, the second tape WILL start around 02:00:00:00?

Thanks for the info, Shaun. Very illuminating...It's been a long time since I messed with DVCAM mode.
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
So then if you do nothing, the second tape WILL start around 02:00:00:00?
Yes, ASSUMING that your last timecode was EXACTLY 01:23:59:29. (also assuming NTSC at 29.97 NDF - DF would start the next TC at 02:00:00:02)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line