MiniDV Tapes (Best Brands?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 1st, 2003, 07:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MiniDV Tapes (Best Brands?)

as per the topic.

What are the best readily-available tapes to use with an XL1/XL1s? what do you all use? I've heard sony tapes aren't the greatest so i've ruled those out unless someone says otherwise.
Bryan Gateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 08:20 PM   #2
Warden

Probably the most often asked question at DV Info. Do a search and you'll find every brand being recommended and defamed. Many polls have been done and Panasonic is probably the numbers winner. Pick a readily available tape brand in your area and stick to it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 11:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

;) thanks!
Old September 2nd, 2003, 07:11 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I suppose at some point we should gather the better tape-brand threads, merge them and stick 'em to the top of the list to make them easier to find. I don't think we need a separate forum for this topic, though... after all, it's tape.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2003, 01:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : I suppose at some point we should gather the better tape-brand threads, merge them and stick 'em to the top of the list to make them easier to find. I don't think we need a separate forum for this topic, though... after all, it's tape. -->>>

I Agree with the sticky for "best tape brand" ;) and any other such Frequently Asked Questions should also be stickied :P
Old September 2nd, 2003, 02:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Tape?

I just use whatever duct tape I can find at Costco. Comes in packs of three rolls and will stick just about anything to the outside of the XL1s. :-)

As for INSIDE the XL1s, I use Fuji 60-minute tapes. Might try the 80-minute, but only if the thickness is identical. Will probably buy one and measure it with a micrometer just to make sure.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 09:08 AM   #7
Major Player

I use SONY tapes and never had any problems with them. But then again I rarely use the same tape twice, so perhaps thats a reason for no problems. But perhaps a lot go for Panasonic cos they are a little cheaper.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line