DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Video 8 - DV Converter: what editing software? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/140754-video-8-dv-converter-what-editing-software.html)

Michael Lifson January 2nd, 2009 10:33 PM

Video 8 - DV Converter: what editing software?

I tried importing some footage from Video 8 cassette using Sony EV-C100 deck and DataVideo DV converter, through iMovie 08 (7.1.5) iMovie sees the converter, but does not seem to recognize the deck. It opens "dv converter" window, but when I click "import" it says "NO CONTROLS". Probably, iMovie is not enough for this.
Before I go and buy more advanced editing software, I'd like to ask for advise regarding this process.
I got iMac 24" Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Jonathan Jones March 16th, 2009 09:49 PM

Hi Michael,
I notice this post has been sitting here for a while, unanswered, but I haven't visited this forum in a while.

In any case, what you are experiencing seems to be perfectly normal considering the gear you are using.

The "NO CONTROLS" message is in reference to the software's predisposition to allow you to control the transport mechanism of your video playback device. This would normally be effective if the device you were using to play back your footage was a digital one.

But since the your playback device is an analogue unit instead of a digital one, you software is unable to assume control of your transport mechanism.

By all indications, your software is working properly in that it can "see" your DataVideo converter, but since this device does not include transport controls, iMovie is presenting that message to you.

The proper import procedure with the equipment you are using is to simply turn on you DataVideo Converter, activate iMovie, ensure that it 'senses' your dv converter, and then manually begin playback from the deck's own controls. If everything is working properly, you should see your Hi-8 footage importing directly into your iMovie project.

Hope this helps.

-Jon

Michael Lifson March 17th, 2009 04:46 PM

Video 8 - DV Converter: what editing software?

Dear Jonathan! Thank you for posting a reply! I did, however, tried doing what you've suggested - manually engaging the deck, and it did not work. Same message - "no controls"
A person, who gave me the deck, told me that he used Final Cut Pro with that set up, and it worked. It looks, as I movie can't do it...

J. Stephen McDonald April 22nd, 2009 01:35 AM

Convert Video to Digital Outside of Computer

Here's several suggestions that might work for you: If you have any DV equipment-----a camcorder or VCR----play the analog 8mm VCR into it through the A/V inputs and convert it on tape to digital. Then, you can easily import it through FireWire to a computer. Some DV units have analog conversion and pass-through, which doesn't require that you re-record it on digital tape before importing. A different analog capture card or program might work better than the one you're using. If you have a Digital8 camcorder or VCR, it will play the 8mm tapes and send them in the DV CoDec over FireWire to a computer.

Michael Lifson April 22nd, 2009 10:52 AM

Thank you! Will work on that