Mini DV Tapes vs Mini HD Tapes - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old May 27th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #91
New Boot

Follow up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Alcock View Post
So if you shouldn't mix brands, what about mixing the HD and the regular ones? Obviously I wouldn't mix on the same shoot between HD and SD.
After reading through this entire thread and seeing that this question was not answered, it seems that it may not be important, but I feel I should ask again anyway. Within the thread, there are differences described between HDV's and DV's materials used, so it seems that this could potentially create some conflict within the brand. Does someone need to worry when switching between HDV and DV when using the same brand? Would cleaning the heads be a good idea when performing such a switch? Also, would it be necessary to have a cleaning tape that aligns with the brand of the tapes someone is using, since a sony tape cleaner might be better designed for cleaning a "wet" lubricant off the heads?

Forgive me, as I am just a lowly newbie looking for answers and I would appreciate any feedback on these questions.

Thanks, Justin.
Justin Thieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #92
Inner Circle

You can use any make of head-cleaning tape you like. They're all pretty abraisive, so it matters not a lot which one you choose.

And you can safely swap between (say) Sony's Premium, DVCAM, HDV and Excellence tapes without going through the head-cleaning tape phase first. I know - I've been doing it for years.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #93
New Boot

Fair enough.

Thank you for the timely response. Now I can put my order in through B&H for all my extra goodies! I appreciate it Tom.

Justin
Justin Thieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #94
New Boot

To all those that have posted answers - Thank you. I had a Sony HC9HDR replaced by Sony Aus as the Tech guys had no idea about drop outs. The original one worked fine with Sony and TDK tapes but things turned south with JVC tapes. When I got the replacement Camera I had not yet read the invaluable info posted here and again used Sony, TDK and JVC tapes and yes it happened again. Since reading this thread I have run a head cleaning cassette through the machine but I still have a few drop outs. As I do underwate video I only get one chance to shoot whever is there and a drop out at the wrong moment. Any other ways to avoid the drop outs?
Joseph Bicanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #95
Inner Circle

The more I read about JVC tapes, the more I back off.

Obviously if you're making BD you'll have to shoot HDV underwater Joseph, but if you're simply down-converting to edit then have you considered shooting in SD to begin with?

Then if you can get dropouts the individual frames can have their sparklies repaired in Photoshop. You won't be doing that with half a second of lost HDV footage.

tom.
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #96
Regular Crew

I tend to agree as I also have had problems with the cheaper JVC tapes.
Martin van der Poel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #97
New Boot

Hi Tom, Appreciate your quick response. I am an amateur but love underwater videography. I had a JVC SD Camera but it has been replaced with the Sony HC9. I could not go back to SD. With the URPro filters the Video often appears better than the dive. This is only posible watching it in full HD. I Edit using Pinnacle 12 and burn files to AVCHD on DVD.

Other than cutting out the drop outs how else would the drop outs be "Fixed/Tweaked". Any other advice would be greatly appreciated - am off to PNG andBali in July so any tricks would be great.
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #98
Inner Circle

There is no fix, no tweak. If it's not been recorded to tape, it's not been recorded - simple as that.

Use a head cleaner, then stick to one brand of tape. Maybe you should've looked at cameras that record AVCHD direct to SDHC card?
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #99
New Boot

Tom - Hind sight is a wonderful thing. Had I found this thread between cameras (so to speak) I probably would have gone to SDHC. Thanks for the advice

Martin - I noticed you are a fellow Perth Person. Do you by any chance Video underwater?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM   #100
Tourist

Mini DV tapes vs Mini HD Tapes.

Ah I re-found the thread!
I read this thread awhile back and had to give it a try. I was very skeptical since I would think the technologies would be incompatible.
My wife had just bought 100 SONY MiniDV Excellence on eBay for $4.00+ each
(I wish she'd use the $2 Premiums, but she needs the IC memory chip) regardless, I gave it a try and it works perfectly! No drops, nothing, its perfect. I haven't cleaned my heads or anything. Now I use the SONY Excellence exclusively, I don't see myself going back to HDV tapes anytime soon.

I would have never tried it...I'm thankful I did!
Thanks,

Rick

Last edited by Richard Cadenas; September 3rd, 2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Clarification
Richard Cadenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:22 PM   #101
Regular Crew

Mini DV tapes vs Mini HD Tapes

Joseph.
Sorry for the late reply, I did not get a notification until now.
I take video of dance competitions and my own social events.
Regards,

Martin
Martin van der Poel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line