DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   whats the best dv tapes to buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/16363-whats-best-dv-tapes-buy.html)

Adam Kay October 28th, 2003 06:15 PM

whats the best dv tapes to buy?

as it says above.

John Britt October 28th, 2003 06:41 PM

While you're at it, why not ask "Mac or Windows?" and "Premiere or Vegas?" :)

Personally, I like the Panasonic PQs (AY-DVM63PQ) -- they're a good, reliable tape for a reasonable price. The MQs are the next step up, but also about $2.00 more per tape. I may upgrade to them at some point, right now (knock on wood) the PQs are serving me just fine...

Frank Granovski October 28th, 2003 06:45 PM

For what it's worth I think that Fuji and the higher-end Pana tapes are the best.

Marco Leavitt October 28th, 2003 07:29 PM

This post is flamebait, and before people start bashing JVC like they usually do, I'll say that I've been using their tapes exclusively in my GL1 for the last year and a half and have never had a problem. General wisdom seems to be that you should stick to one brand, because if you change you may start getting problems. This is why I continue to use JVC even though people make it sound like it's the equivalent of squirting Elmer's glue into your camcorder.

Federico Dib October 28th, 2003 07:32 PM

For what I´ve read here, when I bought my camera I was going for Fuji...

But for several reasons.. now I only use the cheap Sony Premium...
Never had a problem.
I can find them everywhere around here (whith Fuji or Pana I can´t).
They are cheap.
Never had a problem.
And If I´m doing something being paid I get the higher grade sony´s which are also easy to find anywhere.
Never had a problem.

Chris Hurd October 28th, 2003 07:33 PM

This topic is probably the most-oftened discussed matter on DV Info Net. The consistent advice is to choose one brand and stick with it. Don't mix tape brands.

Jeff Donald October 28th, 2003 07:34 PM

This is probably the most asked question on the forums. Please do a search and you'll find every answer under the sun.

Frank Granovski October 28th, 2003 07:50 PM

Quote:

...JVC even though people make it sound like it's the equivalent of squirting Elmer's glue into your camcorder.
Actually, JVC tapes did extactly that (squirting Elmer's glue into your camcorder) in my first JVC cam. However, some people such as yourself have reported no problems. I assume that JVC tapes have improved since I used them; and is also a problem with miniDV tapes: the formulas change. As far as I know, Fuji has always stayed the same with few reported problems from users posting on the boards.

Adam Kay October 29th, 2003 04:13 AM

thanks for the info

i use fuji's in my old panay sx30b s-vhs-c and find they give a very bright and colourful picture. with digital presumably this doesnt apply and all tapes give the same picture quality, is it more a case of using a tape which doesnt wind itself round the tape mechanism thats more important?

Frank Granovski October 29th, 2003 04:33 AM

I think what's more important is to pick a tape that works for you and stick with it. (Don't mix tape brands/types.)

Ozzie Leon January 12th, 2004 09:34 AM

I've used the panasonic master 63 quality and they are great. I've never had any problems with them. Yes they cost a little bit more but then again when you spend over 3000 for your camera (ag-dvx100) why skimp on your tape. I have not used any other tape in my cameras. I also have a dedicated deck for play back, sony dsr11. This also saves the heads on your camera.