Sony Premium Pricing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Premium Pricing?

Hi there...

I've been online all day and my brain is about to fry and I'm a little confused by Amazons pricing.

Why is the 10 pack three times the price of the 5 pack? The answer could be "just because it is, it's a bargain, grab it!" but just in case it's "yaargh! stay away from the 5 packs as they are contaminated with a flesh eating virus which will leave you with drop outs" I just thought I'd ask all you world weary tape buffs. Thanks in advance for your responses! :)

10 pack:
Sony 10 Pack 60 min DVM Premium: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

5 pack:
Sony 60min Premium MiniDV Tape - 5 Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
You'll notice that they are merely a reselling agent and that each of the items you've linked to ships DIRECTLY from a different supplier. That would be why the discrepancy. So buy twice as many 5 packs and go forward and make good video. Or support your local shop.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes I noticed that they are from different suppliers but I don't understand why all the suppliers of 10 packs are around the £10 mark and all the suppliers of the 5 pack are around the £3 mark.

Even if you compare prices for the same supplier:
HelpdeskIT @ Amazon.co.uk: sony premium

And although I'm all about supporting my local independent when it comes to books I'm more concerned with price right now in regards to my tape stock. :)
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I think its because many of the £10 10 packs come with free delivery (not all but some) while I don't think any of the 5 packs have free delivery.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Just noticed from your link that the 10 pack delivery cost is £4 so £14 per 10 while the 5 pack is £4.25 so just over £7 per pack. So in the end buying two 5 packs will cost the same as one 10 pack, remember they charge per item on non direct amazon sellers
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Jonathan,

I figured exactly this out when I almost ordered today online! haha! I was shocked that they charge PER item even though you order from the same seller. So yeah... no flesh eating virus, but a sneaky way to make the tapes seem super cheap. Probably very bad for those people who have one click ordering. I always imagine its more than one click though... I digress...
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line