DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Head cleaning (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/16923-head-cleaning.html)

Stephen Sobel November 10th, 2003 05:31 PM

Head cleaning

I have a Canon GL2 camcorder, and I use Sony MiniDV tapes. I need to clean the heads. Should I use Sony head cleaner, since that is the brand of tape I use? Or use Canon head cleaner, since that is the brand of camcorder?

Frank Granovski November 10th, 2003 05:43 PM

I don't think this matters. Are you using wet Sony tapes? If that's the case, perhaps go with the Sony cleaner.

Jeff Donald November 10th, 2003 06:09 PM

This recent thread in the Sony forum may help. No manufacture says you can only use their brand cleaning tapes.

Miquel de Pablo November 16th, 2003 03:15 PM

I also have a GL2, and I've been using Fuji tapes, but will have to switch to something else soon (unless I can find Fuji tapes in Spain, where I'll be). The canon cleaner is $25 at Amazon, and a Sony cleaner is about $13 at B&H. Why should there be such a price diffference if they are all about equal in quality? By the way, if anyone knows where I can find Fuji tapes in Spain, please let me know too!

Thanks.

Ken Tanaka November 16th, 2003 05:10 PM

To the best of my knowledge, Canon does not manufacture any tape products whatsoever. They have an OEM arrangement with other manufacturers (Panasonic, for example) in which Canon marks-up and resells these products.

Sony does manufacture their own tape products.

So that may explain most of the price difference.

Frank Granovski November 16th, 2003 08:59 PM

I have this Panasonic miniDV head cleaner. On the wrapper it says "dry." On the cassette, it's says "hard type." On my Canon cleaner, it simply says, "head cleaning cassette DVM-CL."

I spent a few hours searching for miniDV info on the various brand sites. Two things I discovered:

* very selection with their information
* next to nothing in way of information

My conclusion is that they all have something to hide. (Now what would that be?) Gumming, screwed-up video, damaged heads---all due to their different tape formulas?

Federico Dib November 16th, 2003 09:05 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Miquel de Pablo : I also have a GL2, and I've been using Fuji tapes, but will have to switch to something else soon (unless I can find Fuji tapes in Spain, where I'll be). The canon cleaner is $25 at Amazon, and a Sony cleaner is about $13 at B&H. Why should there be such a price diffference if they are all about equal in quality? By the way, if anyone knows where I can find Fuji tapes in Spain, please let me know too!

Thanks. -->>>

You can find Fuji tapes in Spain, although they are not available everywhere. Here in Barcelona the only brand I seem to find everywhere are Sony, and TDK.
I was going to use Fuji with my XM2, but although I know where to find Fuji I decided to go with Sony. You never know when youŽll need to buy a last minute tape on a gas station.

If you are coming to Barcelona I can tell you where to find fuji or anything else...

Jeff Donald November 16th, 2003 09:05 PM

Search my posts about wet and dry cleaning tapes. It does not refer to the type lubricant the mini DV tape uses. It refers to wet or dry cleaning methods. To the best of my knowledge all mini DV cleaning tapes use the dry method i.e. no liquid is applied to the tape before use.

Frank Granovski November 16th, 2003 09:31 PM

I'm not inferring that 1 cleaning tape is liquid and another is not. But some tapes use a dry lubricant while others use a "wet." And I was curious if this extends to miniDV cleaning tapes as well. :)

Jeff Donald November 16th, 2003 10:06 PM

The reference on the cleaning tape wrapper to dry is not to the lubricant but to the fact that it does not use a liquid cleaning agent. I talked to a Maxell company rep. at a recent trade show and he knew nothing about various grades or types of cleaning tapes. Maxell claims they make their own cleaning tapes. He also stated that he knew of only one other Japanese cleaning tape manufacture. The rest he claimed where made in China and could be of suspect quality.

Frank Granovski November 16th, 2003 11:12 PM

Quote:

The rest he claimed where made in China and could be of suspect quality.
Company reps used to say this about Japanese products when I was a kid.

Steven Salmon November 17th, 2003 03:09 AM

How often do you folks suggest cleaning the heads?

Frank Granovski November 17th, 2003 03:16 AM

When your heads are dirty (gummed). Why wear down your heads if you don't have too? I haven't cleaned my heads for years since I switched to Fuji.