Do any of you "black" your tapes before using them? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:16 AM   #31
Wrangler

Before I remove a tape or even turn off the camcorder, I always record a few seconds of Room Tone. That gives me some tone to use and a place to back up into when I need to insure a non-broken code.

Since my (and most NLEs?) ignore tape time code after the footage is on the timeline, I don't worry about broken code since my NLE (Edius) will jump gaps in time code.
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #32
Major Player

I was very confused too - have a Canon XL1 and using Canopus DVStorm + Sony DSR25 tape recorder.

If I black the Sony DVCAM tape (the big one - not miniDV) in the DSR25 recorder (using black burst generator) OFFLINE (not connected to DVStorm) and I use that pre-black tape to record masters using DVStorm, will DVStorm's generated timecode override the timecode that was already present in that tape? Or is that a function of the DSR25 that will use whatever timecodes that is on tape.

Further complication - DSR25 supports "internal" and "external" DV timecodes.

If I set DSR25 to "external" and assuming DVStorm generates its own timecode, will DSR25 ignore that, and use whatever timecode it finds on tape (pre-black version)?

If I set DSR25 to "internal", how will that affect future recordings (if any)?

My plan is use one DVCAM tape (184 minutes long) to record masters (append to it) - but there doesn't seem to be any way for the DSR25 to do an "END SEARCH" function. So, I am thinking of pre-black tapes and use the timecode to specify to Canopus DVStorm to forward to the timecode of the last recording before I record the new one.

Will that work?

Thanks,
TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 01:04 AM   #33
Wrangler

It might but why not append a minute of black to the end of all your work. Then you can back up the cassette by a half-minute or so and have no problems with broken time code.

A simple test will tell you which time code setting is correct on the 25.

Blacking tapes is expensive. Depending on the life you get from the transport and heads, every hour costs you between $2 and $5.
Old February 12th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #34
Major Player

You are absolutely correct. There is no need to black the entire tape. I tested it with my DSR25. There is a feature "INDEX" on that machine, which allows me to place either automatically or manually an invisible electronic signal on the timetrack which only the player picks up. You can then do a fast rewind/wind to the exact "INDEX" that is located on that tape. "END SEARCH" the last recorded frame, and start the new recording from there.

TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #35
Major Player

Cameras like the Canon XM1 which have a facility for recording still photographs on the tape allow you to put an extra 7 seconds of whatever on the tape at the end of a session, and this includes timecode. I find this useful as it provides some leeway for locating a start point for the next session.

A couple of snaps at the start of the tape provides the necessary pre-roll for capturing.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #36
Major Player

Understand. I am not talking of doing that on my Canon XL1. I am referring to post processing stage - where you dup a master on a BIG DVCAM tape (184 mins).
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line