Can you use Sony DV Cassettes on Canon products? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 28th, 2003, 07:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Can you use Sony DV Cassettes on Canon products?

I bought a pack of 10 Sony 60-minute DV cassettes for the use of my GL2. Can these be used? According to the tech guys where I bought the tapes, they said all DV camcorders can use any brand...
David Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #2
Warden

This is one of the most often asked questions in the DV Info Community. If you do a search, using key words, you find the multitude of responses and opinions. You can get to the search page via the link at the beginning of my signature or the button in the upper right corner of this window.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What??? You are saying there is some answer other than 'of course?'
Robert Silvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #4
Warden

Robert, many users seem to feel that Sony tapes do not perform well in Canon cameras. This has been covered, and like David, I suggest you do a search and post questions in the appropriate threads.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

1- Yes, you can use any brand in your camcorder.

2- Some people don't recommend mixing different brands of mini-DV tapes since this practice can cause problems (dropouts). You can avoid this entirely if you stick with one brand. Sony tapes tend to be the most expensive when buying bulk over the Internet so you might want to stick with a cheaper brand. Search threads for recommendations (Fuji and the expensive Panasonic master tapes seem to be the only recommendation). But tape is cheap anyways.

Sony and Maxell reformulated their tapes so this isn't supposed to be a problem anymore. Search old threads to get more discussion on whether or not it's still a problem.

3- Canon doesn't even make mini-DV tape?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've used Sony and Fuji tapes in my Canon Cameras for a year and a half and can now no difference in them.
Mickey Stroud is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line