tapes? cleaning heads, multiple decks? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 31st, 2003, 10:58 AM   #1
Major Player

tapes? cleaning heads, multiple decks?

Hello.
i have a new camera and i'm determined to only use the tapes that they recommend, but i also have a mini-dv playback device with the screen built in etc.

that has had hundreds of different tapes in it...

would cleaning the heads really well be enough to use the tapes in it that come out of the new camera, and possibly put them back in the new camera without bringing along whatever lubricant got into the portable deck from all those other tapes?

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 02:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Those mini-DV tape cleaners are kind of like sandpaper. They take off a little bit of your tape heads when they clean. One cleaning is equivalent to about 8 hours of normal use. You should only use cleaning tapes in:
A- emergenies
B- every 50 hours or so (read the instructions on the cleaning tape, I'm not so sure about this)
C- maybe when switching brands of tapes with different lubricants

Make sure you read the instructions on the cleaning tape. It should all the information you need on how and when to use it.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:51 AM   #3
Major Player

ok, so i'm still not sure of the best way to "fix" my sony gv-800 deck, if i use some q-tips meant for doing head cleaning and some fluid and carefully clean anything that touches the tape would that be good enough??

i am committed enough to switch to just the tape that is recommended for my new camera (dvx-100a) and i have bought case of those tapes from the evs people...

i just need to get my portable dv deck to a "fresh start" point.

matthew
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:54 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Quote:
that has had hundreds of different tapes in it.
Could be that the unit needs servicing. Never know.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 04:32 AM   #5
Major Player

huh?

there is nothing "wrong" with the unit, it plays/records fine, i have just read so much on here about how mixing tapes is bad so i have decided with my new camera to only use the ones that the manufacturer recommends...

the only issue is how to properly clean my sony mini-dv portable deck so i don't have to worry about the lubricants? cross-contaminating the new tapes.

strictly preventative.

matthew
Old January 14th, 2004, 04:52 AM   #6
Outer Circle

Sorry, I assumed the unit was having problems. If you've had no problems, then don't worry about it, yet.

If you keep cleaning everything, it's like what Glenn mentioned: "Those mini-DV tape cleaners are kind of like sandpaper. They take off a little bit of your tape heads when they clean."
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #7
Major Player

all i am looking for is a one time way to clean the portable dv deck so that i can swap the new tapes around.

so i'll try a head cleaner (interestingly enough the dvx-100a doesn't come with a cleaner) and i'll probably use some swabs to make sure.

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line