Welcome to the Long, Very Long Black Line - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old August 25th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #16
Major Player

Well, there's always...

Wikipedia on DV. And it seems about right and covers all the bases, though I'm not sure it answers every tape question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DV
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Clean heads before first use of camera?

I'm planning on using Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ tapes in an XL-2. Should I clean the heads on a brand new camera before initial usage, and how often there after?

Also, I had read elsewhere here on forum that one gentleman was using a Panasonic Digital Video Head Cleaner. Would that be for someone who basically shoots a lot of tape?

Also, do these tapes use a wet or dry lubricant?
Derek Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Mills View Post
I'm planning on using Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ tapes in an XL-2. Should I clean the heads on a brand new camera before initial usage, and how often there after?

Also, I had read elsewhere here on forum that one gentleman was using a Panasonic Digital Video Head Cleaner. Would that be for someone who basically shoots a lot of tape?

Also, do these tapes use a wet or dry lubricant?
If the camera is brand new then you shouldn't clean it before first use.

You should be fine running Panny tape through the XL series. Canon tapes are made by Panasonic. I've been running almost entirely Panasonic made tape for the entire life of my XL-1. (I've probably run 10 non Panasonic tapes through it.)

About the head cleaner- yes that is definitely for people who run a LOT of tape. I recommend that you use the head cleaner made by whomever makes your tapes. In your case Panasonic would be the choice.

Don't use a head cleaner until either you have visible issues in your recordings or you've run about 1000 tapes. Of course in the latter case, you should probably send the unit in for service at a Canon authorized service center.

I think that pretty much all the tape manufacturers are using dry lubricant now.. but I have to say I'm not keeping up with this anymore since I am transitioning to a combination of DDR and solid state recording.

Hope that helps.
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Alexander,

yepper, that info does help. Now basically, I'm waiting to see if B&H and 'others' come down in their prices soon, or if Canon re-issues a rebate, before I make my purchase.
Derek Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2021, 07:25 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Re: DV tape import into Mac

I need help. Longggg story short I need to find a way to import dv tapes from my Sony PD150 to iMac with OS Big Sur. I use Hitfilm to edit but has no tape import. Used to use CS6 about 3 or 4 OS's ago. Had also used IMovie ( not my favourite) but the latest does not recognize PD150. My present camera is a Sony FDR AX100 so not a problem. I have lots of DV tapes that I wish to digitize. This is a hobby so not reasonable to spend outrageous $$$. I have all the cables and adapters to connect to the iMac and they all worked fine in the past. If necessary I will downgrade the OS of a MacBook Pro I have.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Martin
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2021, 09:49 AM   #21
Wrangler

Re: Welcome to the Long, Very Long Black Line

I imported well over 100 DV, DVCAM and HDV tapes from a Sony deck several years ago. Used the firewire interface on a 2012 Mini running legacy Final Cut Pro under Mountain Lion for most of them, the 2012 Mini has a firewire port which made it easy. But I also used a 2013 MacBook Air with a firewire to Thunderbolt adapter for some of them, that also worked fine.

Later, I upgraded the 2012 Mini to Sierra and used the new Final Cut Pro to import more tapes without problems. I'm surprised this no longer works on Big Sur with iMovie. Have not used iMovie for many, many years, but thought that it still supported DV import.

Anyway, maybe just try downgrading your old MacBook Pro as far back as you can and give iMovie a try?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2021, 10:55 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi Boyd
I have around and around and have come pretty much to the same conclusion. Presently making sure my MBP is backed up with the latest backup and then look at wiping and starting fresh with Sierra. Hopefully the older copy of iMovie will do the trick.

I thought about trying to setup Sierra on an external drive but does not seem to be as easy as looks. Same with adding a volume to my iMac and using it as a separate start. Main difficulty to all this is Mac will not allow one to install an older system than the one running.

Thanks
Martin
Old April 3rd, 2021, 07:15 PM   #23
Wrangler

You can install on an external SSD and easily boot from that, just as if it were the internal disk. I have done it for years, for example I have Sierra and Mt Lion SSD's (Samsung T3's) that will boot either my 2012 Mini or 2013 MacBook Air. The newer Macs have this T2 security chip that makes it more complicated, but don't think that was around back in the Sierra days (was it?)

I created the bootable external SSD's by cloning the internal drives with Carbon Copy Cloner, which was very easy. But if you don't already have a machine running Sierra, you would need to do a clean install which should also be easy if you saved the Sierra Installer. If not, you should be able to get it here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

I wouldn't wipe the MacBook Pro if you like the way it is currently setup. Just get an external USB 3 SSD like a Samsung T5 and boot off that. I used an external SSD as the boot disk for my Mini for several years and ran Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro just fine.
Old April 4th, 2021, 06:34 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks again for your thoughts Boyd. Appreciate the link too.
Have made a start on the revamping. My MBP is a secondary so not critical if downgraded. I have now got it cleaned and installed a fresh High Sierra. Next will be to find an older Movie. So far only got a 9.0.9 update but needs the base.

Will update on how I make out.
thanks
Martin
Old April 4th, 2021, 12:39 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Well... got high Sierra on the MBP and looked for an older IMovie. Downloaded the 9.0.9 upgrade version and of course could not load it as it needs the 9 base line. Found an interesting way to change the update into the full thing, namely known as"IMovie 11". If anyone is interested here it is.https://www.movieforwindows.com/imov...vie-9-0-9.html

It worked and I was able to launch it and in the IMovie about, it comes up as IMovie 11, version 9.0.9 (1795). I hooked up my Sony PD 150 and attempted to record from a tape. On pressing the camera ikon on iMovie the screen came on, but it was from the MBP built in camera and no alternate for the PD150. In short the computer is not seeing the external camera. I have used the same hook up in the passband all was good. I also tried it on a PD100 with the same result... nothing.
I am a weee bit peeved as I have a slew of dv tapes still to transfer.
Anyone have any suggestions
Thanks
Martin
Old April 4th, 2021, 03:42 PM   #26
Wrangler

Well, unless they changed it very recently, Final Cut Pro can do it. They have a 90-day free trial, is that long enough for your project? You could just use it to capture the tapes, then export them to whatever format needed by your other software.

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/trial/

But if "the computer is not seeing the camera", that sounds like a hardware problem. What kind of cable/adapter are you using? Are you sure the firewire port is OK on the PD-150? I gather it isn't too hard to blow them, although it's never happened to me. The manual for my sony deck has all kinds of dire warnings about that. ;-)
Old April 5th, 2021, 10:24 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi Boyd
Thank you , that is a good idea. I am not familiar with FC but I am sure a bit of reading should enable me to capture and export. I would then do any editing etc in HitFilm. I previously had the use of a buckshee version from another popular vender. They went rental only and are not , in my mind, that is not an option after their last sale version. Naturally I don't have it anymore, wish I did.
I am using a firewire from the computer to a firewire 800/400 cord and then to a firewire to whatever it is called on Mac. I have used this for long time with no problem on Bothe iMac and MBP. Also on Bothe the PD150 and PD100. Who knows???

A trial on FC should either do the trick or tell me something is toast.

Thanks
Martin
Old April 6th, 2021, 08:53 AM   #28
Wrangler

Cool - but you are not going to be able to install the Final Cut Pro free trial under High Sierra, it requires Catalina or Big Sur. The only way to get a version that runs on earlier systems would be if you had previously purchased a compatible old version.
Old April 7th, 2021, 03:57 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Yes, got it. If I have to use FCP even as trial I will definitely put it on my iMac and with BigSur. I might have bypassed my immediate "emergency" so might wait a bit. Weather is turning around and there will be lots to catch up with outside. No sense wasting a free trial.
Also next week I have to concentrate on doing videos for my daughter's dance school. She is the owner and I am slave labour. She teaches ballet under the Royal Academy of Dance protocol and has exams for students. Normally the RAD sends adjudicators from anywhere in the world to physically judge the students. With COVID, a new ball game, and all is done by strict rules by video. No artsy stuff, no editing,(can not even turn off the camera in any session and no repeats) just solid viewing and uploaded each day to their Vimeo site. Students and teachers and parents can not see the videos and must be destroyed ( the video!!! mind you maybe the parents at times) after safely uploaded. Had to sign my life away. I will be using my AX100 so no worry about transfers.
Always something. Thanks again for your input.
Stay safe
Martin
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line