Welcome to the Long, Very Long Black Line - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old August 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #16
Major Player

Well, there's always...

Wikipedia on DV. And it seems about right and covers all the bases, though I'm not sure it answers every tape question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DV
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Clean heads before first use of camera?

I'm planning on using Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ tapes in an XL-2. Should I clean the heads on a brand new camera before initial usage, and how often there after?

Also, I had read elsewhere here on forum that one gentleman was using a Panasonic Digital Video Head Cleaner. Would that be for someone who basically shoots a lot of tape?

Also, do these tapes use a wet or dry lubricant?
Derek Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Mills View Post
I'm planning on using Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ tapes in an XL-2. Should I clean the heads on a brand new camera before initial usage, and how often there after?

Also, I had read elsewhere here on forum that one gentleman was using a Panasonic Digital Video Head Cleaner. Would that be for someone who basically shoots a lot of tape?

Also, do these tapes use a wet or dry lubricant?
If the camera is brand new then you shouldn't clean it before first use.

You should be fine running Panny tape through the XL series. Canon tapes are made by Panasonic. I've been running almost entirely Panasonic made tape for the entire life of my XL-1. (I've probably run 10 non Panasonic tapes through it.)

About the head cleaner- yes that is definitely for people who run a LOT of tape. I recommend that you use the head cleaner made by whomever makes your tapes. In your case Panasonic would be the choice.

Don't use a head cleaner until either you have visible issues in your recordings or you've run about 1000 tapes. Of course in the latter case, you should probably send the unit in for service at a Canon authorized service center.

I think that pretty much all the tape manufacturers are using dry lubricant now.. but I have to say I'm not keeping up with this anymore since I am transitioning to a combination of DDR and solid state recording.

Hope that helps.
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Alexander,

yepper, that info does help. Now basically, I'm waiting to see if B&H and 'others' come down in their prices soon, or if Canon re-issues a rebate, before I make my purchase.
Derek Mills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line