Canon XL1s ate my tape, then decided it didn't like it and regurgitated it! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 19th, 2002, 10:26 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Another for Denis

Denis,

Just for kicks, when did you get your camera? I got mine in November and it didn't get hungry until June. We are even pretty close on the number of tapes used. Spooky

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 01:13 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Hey Bill,

Sorry to hear that anybody has had the same problem. So, and you say that your camera did not get fixed in the service. That’s a scary piece of information. So, what are you doing about it? What does the warranty say? What kind of Fuji tapes did you use?

I got my camera in March (Series PL). I did not use it much at the beginning. Now when I need it more then ever, my baby is sick. J I will have to cancel a project I guess. How long did your repair last, Bill?

Mini DV decks seem to be extremely helpful in recovering clips. That’s what I am working on now at the university and looking for a good and reasonably priced one for myself. I succeeded to recover most of the files, but using the simplest solution: iMovie.

I wish us all good luck. :-)
Old July 20th, 2002, 07:32 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Hey Bill,

This won't solve your tape problem, but with FCP3 you can set your preferences to capture video through timecode breaks.

Uncheck the box "abort capture on time breaks", or something like that.

At least that will make life a little easier.

Mike Avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 08:44 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Denis and Mike

Denis,

I'm waiting to see if the change to the highly recommended MQ tape makes any sort of difference while rewinding. If not, it's going back up to North Jersey. I did buy a rewinder from pro-tape, so that will help with wear on the camera regardless. I was using Fuji DVM60 ME tape. The strange thing is this problem didn't begin until I got my last shipment of tape. I don't know is this is just a coincidence or not. I will say that I have never had problems with head clogs until this last batch of tape. That is another reason I've decided to change brands.

As far as the trip to service, it took only 3 days, and that is including the time for shipping. It was covered under the warranty. If you haven't joined the owner's club, I highly recommend it.

I've been looking at different decks, but the money tree in the back yard is a little barren right now.

Mike,

I've had a problem with audio going wildly out of sync if I don't abort capture. That could just be an issue with dropped frames, but with the project I'm working on I don't want to recapture and risk another tape getting eaten.

I'll post back with results after my new tape arrives.

Bill
Old July 21st, 2002, 01:21 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Good luck, Bill. Let us know what happened. BTW, what kind of “rewinder” did you get? How much did it cost you? For some reason I could not find it on the pro-tape's web site. As to my plans in regard to Mini DV decks, see my new thread entitled JVC SR-VS30U?
Old July 21st, 2002, 06:53 AM   #36
Mr.Cisco

1) I've never rewound a tape in my XL1s and never will just to avoid this very problem.

2) I've shot on DVM63MQ and the AY-DVM60EJ3P (Linear Plus) and I've done a side by side comparison and I can't detect a difference at all. Not to mention, I've never encountered a problem with the "Linear Plus" tapes in 3 years in either of my GL1's or my XL1s.

My .02
Old July 21st, 2002, 07:59 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Rewinder

http://store.yahoo.com/protape/simmindvrew.html

Hopefully this will help.

Bill
Old July 21st, 2002, 04:13 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Bill, thanks for the link. Let us know about the eating habits of your XL-1s. :-) I am preparing mine for a vacation in California.

Mr. Cisco, honestly thanks for your advice. However, it seems to me that our babes are a little bit too sensitive if they are not supposed to rewind a tape ever.

What if my producer wants to sneak into my materials a bit on the set and look at them on the LCD? Should I tell him that my camera cannot (or is not supposed to) rewind a tape? Sorry, but if I were that producer, I would question the quality of that camera and if I want it on my project.

Please, do not mind my comments.

Best of luck,
Old July 21st, 2002, 04:39 PM   #39
Mr.Cisco

<<<-- Originally posted by Denis Basic : Bill, thanks for the link. Let us know about the eating habits of your XL-1s. :-) I am preparing mine for a vacation in California.

Mr. Cisco, honestly thanks for your advice. However, it seems to me that our babes are a little bit too sensitive if they are not supposed to rewind a tape ever.

What if my producer wants to sneak into my materials a bit on the set and look at them on the LCD? Should I tell him that my camera cannot (or is not supposed to) rewind a tape? Sorry, but if I were that producer, I would question the quality of that camera and if I want it on my project.

Please, do not mind my comments.

Best of luck, -->>>

No, I don't mean that the XL1s is too sensitive for rewinding. I just have a fear of a tape getting eaten in there and creating a mess. Also, it's less wear and tear on the parts by using a DV deck or a rewinder.
Old July 22nd, 2002, 03:28 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Got my XL1s in Feb and by March it had started eating tapes just as described. Knowing I am not alone has made me feel a little better :)

Does any body know where to get a MiniDv Rewinder in UK?

Thanks

Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line