DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Canon XL1s ate my tape, then decided it didn't like it and regurgitated it! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/1978-canon-xl1s-ate-my-tape-then-decided-didnt-like-regurgitated.html)

Josh Bass May 11th, 2002 10:24 PM

Canon XL1s ate my tape, then decided it didn't like it and regurgitated it!

Hi. I was rewinding a tape (or attempting to) when I see an eject message in my Canon XL1s's viewfinder. I stick the tape back in, and then it tells me to eject the tape. When I pull it out, the physical tape is stuck in the heads of the camera. I got it out and fixed it with no breakage, but jeez!

I don't abuse my camera, and the tape has been safely stored in its case since I finished shooting on it.

The only thing I can think of is that I was at the very very very end of the tape, to where it told me I was at the end of the tape, when I tried to rewind it. Is this possibly the problem?

Also, the tape I used is a panasonic, but not a kind that I'm familiar with. I'd been using the cream colored ones, or white, or whatever, and this one is black and says "LinearPlus." Is this is generic tape or something? Why does God hate me so?

Frank Granovski May 11th, 2002 11:31 PM

You should have bought a Sony, JVC or Panasonic.

Adrian Douglas May 12th, 2002 06:01 AM

Frank is dead on the money. Your best bet is to pick one of those he mentioned and stick with it.

i've been using Sony's for 4 years and never had a problem. Other people use Panasonic's and like them to. Just make sure you stick with one or the other.

Chris Hurd May 12th, 2002 11:40 AM

Choose one flavor and stick with it. If you've been using the Panasonic AY-DVM series (the cream colored ones with the blue lid), then don't switch. The black "linear plus" is a consumer grade tape with a different formulation and different lubrication. That's where you probably ran into trouble. Be sure to run a head-cleaning cassette for a few seconds before going back to the Pana pro series.

Frank Granovski May 12th, 2002 01:49 PM

Okay, I guess that worked. What I meant, though, was buy a Sony, JVC or Panasonic video camera. And I wasn't serious.

Josh Bass May 12th, 2002 02:45 PM

Dammit, I got those tapes cause this lady I shot for told me a local place was having a sale on minidv tapes (3.99 each, and they're usually about 7 or 8 bucks). Those were the tapes the place gave me. I requested the pro series, or whatever they're called, and they claimed the LinearPlus were the only ones they had. Bastards. Now I have five of them.

Chris Hurd May 12th, 2002 03:36 PM

Never, never go for cheap prices or special sales, especially with DV tape. DV tape is *already* the *least expensive* part of the entire chain of gear, so always buy the best you can. Otherwise, as you found out, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Dan C. May 12th, 2002 04:06 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by frank_granovski : Okay, I guess that worked. What I meant, though, was buy a Sony, JVC or Panasonic video camera. And I wasn't serious. -->>>

I knew what you meant Frank.
Obviously needed to be a regular (or ex-regular) of the dv.com forums to understand your ways ;)

Chris Hurd May 12th, 2002 04:20 PM

For the benefit of the person asking the original question, please, let's keep the "shoulda gotta Ford" comments to a bare minimum and concentrate on offering useful advice.

Much respect,

Josh Bass May 12th, 2002 07:53 PM

Since we're on it, I just want to be clear: I've heard the Panasonics are better than the Sonys several times, even though they should be completely the same, and the Pro Series (White ones, right?) of the Panasonics are the best of that particular brand. That sound about right?

Frank Granovski May 12th, 2002 10:18 PM

Years ago, Fuji made the best tape, then Panasonic came out with good tape, and now Sony makes some good higher quality tape. I've had bad experience with JVC tapes, and lots of people on boards mentioned problems with Maxell and TDK. That's all I know for what's it's worth. Oh yeah, and don't mix tapes. Pick one, and if you're happy with it, stick with it.

Josh Bass May 12th, 2002 10:31 PM

Thank you. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a particular brand that's superior to the others? Should I use the remaining tapes as table leg stabilizers?

John Locke May 12th, 2002 11:42 PM

Or use them to lash together a raft like in "Cast Away." Guess since it's miniDV tape, it'd have to be more like a float than a raft.

I'm sure that others will recommend other brands of the same quality...but I use the Panasonic DVM63MQ tapes. If you buy a whole case, the price drops way down (at least over here it does). There are five tapes to a box, and ten boxes to a case.

Josh Bass May 13th, 2002 01:27 AM

What's the price per tape on those? I can't convey to you how ridiculous it would be right now for me to buy a box of five that will take me several months to a year (so far, my employers have provided me with tapes for their shoots) to go through, let alone a case.

Ed Frazier May 13th, 2002 06:56 AM

I bought a case (50) of DVM63MQ for $6.80/tape from www.taperesources.com. I think they offer the same price if you order at least 5. Shipping was $12.40 for the 10# box.

Chris, I know they are not your preferred vendor, but in this case, Pro-Tape was almost $2 more/tape. Since a lot of us use the DVM63MQ, maybe you can convince them (Pro-Tape) to give community members a special price. I'll gladly use your sponsors as long as their prices are in the ball park.