Canon XL1s ate my tape, then decided it didn't like it and regurgitated it! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old May 11th, 2002, 10:24 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

Canon XL1s ate my tape, then decided it didn't like it and regurgitated it!

Hi. I was rewinding a tape (or attempting to) when I see an eject message in my Canon XL1s's viewfinder. I stick the tape back in, and then it tells me to eject the tape. When I pull it out, the physical tape is stuck in the heads of the camera. I got it out and fixed it with no breakage, but jeez!

I don't abuse my camera, and the tape has been safely stored in its case since I finished shooting on it.

The only thing I can think of is that I was at the very very very end of the tape, to where it told me I was at the end of the tape, when I tried to rewind it. Is this possibly the problem?

Also, the tape I used is a panasonic, but not a kind that I'm familiar with. I'd been using the cream colored ones, or white, or whatever, and this one is black and says "LinearPlus." Is this is generic tape or something? Why does God hate me so?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2002, 11:31 PM   #2
Outer Circle

You should have bought a Sony, JVC or Panasonic.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2002, 06:01 AM   #3
Trustee

Frank is dead on the money. Your best bet is to pick one of those he mentioned and stick with it.

i've been using Sony's for 4 years and never had a problem. Other people use Panasonic's and like them to. Just make sure you stick with one or the other.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2002, 11:40 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Choose one flavor and stick with it. If you've been using the Panasonic AY-DVM series (the cream colored ones with the blue lid), then don't switch. The black "linear plus" is a consumer grade tape with a different formulation and different lubrication. That's where you probably ran into trouble. Be sure to run a head-cleaning cassette for a few seconds before going back to the Pana pro series.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2002, 01:49 PM   #5
Outer Circle

Okay, I guess that worked. What I meant, though, was buy a Sony, JVC or Panasonic video camera. And I wasn't serious.
Old May 12th, 2002, 02:45 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

Dammit, I got those tapes cause this lady I shot for told me a local place was having a sale on minidv tapes (3.99 each, and they're usually about 7 or 8 bucks). Those were the tapes the place gave me. I requested the pro series, or whatever they're called, and they claimed the LinearPlus were the only ones they had. Bastards. Now I have five of them.
Old May 12th, 2002, 03:36 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Never, never go for cheap prices or special sales, especially with DV tape. DV tape is *already* the *least expensive* part of the entire chain of gear, so always buy the best you can. Otherwise, as you found out, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Old May 12th, 2002, 04:06 PM   #8
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by frank_granovski : Okay, I guess that worked. What I meant, though, was buy a Sony, JVC or Panasonic video camera. And I wasn't serious. -->>>

I knew what you meant Frank.
Obviously needed to be a regular (or ex-regular) of the dv.com forums to understand your ways ;)
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2002, 04:20 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

For the benefit of the person asking the original question, please, let's keep the "shoulda gotta Ford" comments to a bare minimum and concentrate on offering useful advice.

Much respect,

Old May 12th, 2002, 07:53 PM   #10
Slash Rules!

Since we're on it, I just want to be clear: I've heard the Panasonics are better than the Sonys several times, even though they should be completely the same, and the Pro Series (White ones, right?) of the Panasonics are the best of that particular brand. That sound about right?
Old May 12th, 2002, 10:18 PM   #11
Outer Circle

Years ago, Fuji made the best tape, then Panasonic came out with good tape, and now Sony makes some good higher quality tape. I've had bad experience with JVC tapes, and lots of people on boards mentioned problems with Maxell and TDK. That's all I know for what's it's worth. Oh yeah, and don't mix tapes. Pick one, and if you're happy with it, stick with it.
Old May 12th, 2002, 10:31 PM   #12
Slash Rules!

Thank you. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a particular brand that's superior to the others? Should I use the remaining tapes as table leg stabilizers?
Old May 12th, 2002, 11:42 PM   #13
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Or use them to lash together a raft like in "Cast Away." Guess since it's miniDV tape, it'd have to be more like a float than a raft.

I'm sure that others will recommend other brands of the same quality...but I use the Panasonic DVM63MQ tapes. If you buy a whole case, the price drops way down (at least over here it does). There are five tapes to a box, and ten boxes to a case.
Old May 13th, 2002, 01:27 AM   #14
Slash Rules!

What's the price per tape on those? I can't convey to you how ridiculous it would be right now for me to buy a box of five that will take me several months to a year (so far, my employers have provided me with tapes for their shoots) to go through, let alone a case.
Old May 13th, 2002, 06:56 AM   #15
Major Player

I bought a case (50) of DVM63MQ for $6.80/tape from www.taperesources.com. I think they offer the same price if you order at least 5. Shipping was $12.40 for the 10# box.

Chris, I know they are not your preferred vendor, but in this case, Pro-Tape was almost $2 more/tape. Since a lot of us use the DVM63MQ, maybe you can convince them (Pro-Tape) to give community members a special price. I'll gladly use your sponsors as long as their prices are in the ball park.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line