Trivial tape question: Panasonic to Fuji? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old January 19th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Trivial tape question: Panasonic to Fuji?

I see this topic has been beaten pretty well so I'll make it short.

I've just started using a DV-852 and have maybe 20 min on Panasonic tape. There seems to be a strong sense here that Fuji tape is preferable ( and perhaps cheaper? ), and hints that F & P tapes are similar or possibly the same.

Can I switch to <and stay with> Fuji without running an abrasive cleaning tape?

btw, I chose the 852 based on this and other boards. After a few minutes with it I'm already impressed; it's no toy and more than enough cam for my needs.
Laurence Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Major Player

I wouldn't.
Not even after running a dry cleaner.
I am hardly an expert on this (or anything else) but..
I had my cam for maybe two days before I made the tape switch mistake. I ran one sony tape through, and then picked up a TDK tape.
This tapes and all the tapes after it were unwatchable. I had to get the camera professonally cleaned. Dry head cleaner worked not at all.

I would stick with the tape you started with for now, and switch after you've had the camera professionally cleaned (which I believe you should do after about 30 hours of use).

Somebody else may have better advice for you, though, but, I still would't do anything until you are absolutely sure.

Michael.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Switching tape brands is not a problem IF you clean the heads first and then STAY with a brand. Folks get into all sorts of trouble switching brands of tape. You can use a head cleaning tape, I prefer to use one by the manufacturer of the tape I'm using, BUT follow the directions CAREFULLY! I'm trying to emphasize that, if it says 5 seconds and you run it for 10, you can do harm.

As for pro cleaning, yes it's important. Every year I take all of my cameras in to be cleaned and believe me I put many more than 30 hours on them. I probably have that in a month as do most all pros. Cleaning every 30 hours IMO is overkill and not necessary but good care and maintenance is.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Tape Fears

I've used both Sony Premium and Fuji tapes almost interchangably for the past several years and have seen no difference or side effects. I may be wrong, but it seems that a lot of these tape fears are over exaggerated. Aren't most of them made by the same manufactures and just packaged differently for the distributors like VHS tapes or CD roms?
Mickey Stroud
Director, www.ladyxfilms.com, episode 27
Old January 19th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #5
Major Player

pro cleaning

Don,
I am actully glad to hear that every 30 hours is overkill. Really glad. Who wouldn't be? Pro cleaning is costly! I think, though, although, I am not certain, that I came by the data somwhere on this board a few months back, and after all the problems I had at start up, I was ready to belive just about anything.

I do think, though, that changing tape brands between cleanings is needlessly risky. Once again, though I am prepared to be incorrect. However, I do have a few questions. What is the percieved benefit? Will image quality really improve? If so sign me up. What is the best brand of tape? If not, though, why run the dry cleaner through the camera unless you really have to? Doesn't it shorten the life of your cam? Or am I wrong about this too?

BTW, just to be clear, there is absolutely no sarcasm intended in this post, I am really curious.

Thanks,
Michael

" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 05:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Right, I understand. Tape choice can be somewhat subjective I guess, Mike R. loves Sony tapes and I can't be without my Panasonic PQ's yet we both use Sony PD150's.
Some folks have great sucess with Fuji some with Maxell so I guess it's all up to your preference.

I do not mean to imply to cleans the heads everytime you use a tape all I'm saying is once you pick a brand stick with it but when you make the switch to the brand you desire to use clean the heads, once should be enough.

I counted the number of times I cleaned the heads of my 150's and after careful count it was ZERO and that's with over 250 hours on each of them BUT I never switched tape brands.

Hope that clears it up a bit for you,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Don,
Thanks for the clarification.
Incedently, I am also a Panasonic PQ user :)
Michael.
PS I think that's the first time I've ever used one of those :) things... Hmmm.
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line