Sony's DVCAM tape in DVX100A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:26 AM   #1
New Boot

Sony's DVCAM tape in DVX100A

Is it possible to use Sony's DVCAM tape in DVX100A? Just curious about the compatibility of these tapes.

Is it correct that Panasonic's Master series tapes are higher quality than Panasonics Pro series tapes?

Thank you,
Vincent
Vincent Im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sonys DV CAm tape is larger than mini DV .. OR you can use mini DV tape in sony PD150 and it will burn it to DV CAM format.. So DV cam is moreso a foremat than a tape.. although I believe Sony does make the larger DV CAM Tape.. Hope this helps
Scott Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

DVX100 does not burn to this format.. Sorry
Scott Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 05:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Format schmormat. The tapes will work fine in your panasonic camera. You can record DV SP to "DVCAM" tapes and you can record DVCAM to "DV" tapes. The difference in formats is tape speed. So if you record to a "40 minute - DVCAM" tape in DV format you will actually get 60 minutes on the tape; and Vis-a-versa: a 60-minute miniDV tape will only record for 40 minutes in a DVCAM.

Many people like Fuji tape best, there's a study online somewhere. But if you pick a tape and stick with it you should be fine. I always use the "sony premiums" in my DVC-80. Because that's what my employer at the time used and I was shooting for them occasionally. Now I just stick with them. Changing tape formats can cause an increase tendency toward head clogs and dropped frames.
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:52 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- Originally posted by Scott Plowman : Sonys DV CAm tape is larger than mini DV .. -->>>

DVCam tapes come in two sizes, large and mini, just like regular DV tape does.

You can certainly use DVCAM tape in your DVX100 -- the DVX will record DV data on it, and the tape will last longer than the stated runtime (i.e., a 40-minute DVCam tape will last 60 minutes when recording DV data on it).

You will not gain the advantages of DVCam, because the camera doesn't record DVCam format (the main advantage being greater dropout resistance due to recording the image across a larger piece of tape).

So, DVCam tape will work. However, you could also look into getting Panasonic Master series tape, which is much less expensive and just as good as DVCam tape.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:56 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the info everyone. I had assumed that it would work but wasn't sure if there would be any gained benefits over the Panasonics's Master Series tapes. I'll be using the Master Series tapes. Thanks again.

Vincent
Vincent Im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

One more thing: dry vs liquid lube

Many lenghty discussions end with the following conclusion:

- dvx was designed for dry lube type tapes
- it is certain that the MQ series panasonic tapes do indeed use dry lube
- there are uncomfirmed rumors that PQ tapes, or some PQ tapes, are, or will be dry lube. No official word from panasonic.
- whatever you do, do not change tape stock. Horror stories abound.

My personal choice is to use MQ tapes only. I buy at tapeandmedia.com and am happy with the price/service.

Regards,
-- Andre
Andre Andreev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

minidv lubricants page

this is an excellent link: http://www.hosannaproductions.com/tips/minidv_lubricants.html
Andre Andreev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #9
New Boot

A Panasonic rep confirmed that the PQ tapes use the same dry lubracant as the MQs. There was some initial miscommunication between the factory and the sales office on this fact.
Kent Diamond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line