DVCAM (raw) to BluRay at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Major Player

DVCAM (raw) to BluRay

Hi all,
Just boxing up all my video gear to move house. - Didn't relise I had so many DVCAM tapes in plastic tubs stashed around the house.

My aim now is invest in somekind of kit to transfer the raw data from the DVCAM & DV tapes to BluRay. Without adding anykind of additional compression or using a 3rd party codec like a Avid codec.

I hope to reduce the storage space required and re-use the tapes. Plus at some point in the future re-edit the footage. I have no expirence of BluRay yet. But I like the idea of a 50gig discs. So, any help is welcome.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

XDCAM is a pro alternative to BD. You can wrap the raw DV video without recompressing it into the MXF container and then store it on a 25 or 50GB XDCAM disc.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #3
Contributor

Wouldn't you need an XDCAM recorder for that? And how do you get the DVCAM footage transcoded without loading it into a computer as some sort of compressed file? It seems to me this is a long way to go simply to reuse tapes, when the DVCAM tapes are your original. If you're going to edit the stuff, I'd just capture it in whatever NLE you're going to edit with, then file the tapes away safely and buy new ones for any upcoming shoot.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Capturing the RAW DV AVI never recompresses the footage, it only wraps the data in a AVI container. Same with XDCAM, so all you do is re-wrap the raw data from AVI to MXF and then burn onto XDCAM via a XDCAM computer drive (a PDW-U1 for example)
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

As defeatist as this may sound .... 50gig is a lot of data to lose at once (due to a disc going bad, etc). I'd still keep the original tapes stored somewhere safe.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Major Player

OK. first thanks to everyone for posting a responce.

I like the idea of re-wraping the avi files. Ok - this may sound like a stupid question, but how do you capture .avi file without compression? I'm a Avid user, so deal only with Quicktimes. Is it a job for Adobe Premeire or would Windows Movie Maker do the job of capturing.

I know, I should keep the tapes, but there are so many of them, we just need the space. so, re-using them for projects that I do for free, sound a good idea and would keep the Mrs happy. (I help promote some minority sports, by producing promo films). I always by fresh tape stock for paid work.

At some point Bluray discs will be cheap as chips, so having 2 or 3 back up of the same thing will be the norm.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

There should be an option in Avid to capture in .mxf instead of .avi or .mov.

Capturing to MXF will make the file compatible to burn to XDCAM without recompression.
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Doh! Yes there is - That's the best news today. Thanks for your help.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line