Current Pany minidv tape line at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Monterey Bay area, CA
Posts: 82
Current Pany minidv tape line

Can anyone offer first-hand opinions comparing the current Panasonic tapes?

- AY-HDVM63AMQ - $6.49
- AY-DV63PQUS - $3.35
- AY-DVM63PQ - $2.89

Are the price differences justified? I'm interested in dropout performance. (Note: prices are current B&H).
Tsu Terao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
I used the AMQ tapes when I first got my XH A1. The first 6 or 8 were fine. But then I started having serious dropout problems. A colleague and I did a shoot and he bought two cases of the AMQs and we had horrible dropouts in 5 or 6 tapes out of 20, with two different cameras. So I gave away the rest of mine and went to the much more expensive Sony PHDVM 63 Digital Mastering tapes and have not seen a single dropout in around 50 hours of tapes. You'll find some people who say they use AMQs with no trouble, and I was one of those...until the trouble started.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 686
I use PQ tapes all the time for my VX2000. Switched from MQ which due to the dry lubricant caused me to have to do more frequent head cleanings. PQ uses a wet lubricant. Don't mix them and use the cleaning cassette from the tape manufacturer and not the camera manufacturer. Formulation matches better for tape compound you are trying to clean off.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brookline MA
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
I use PQ tapes all the time for my VX2000. Switched from MQ which due to the dry lubricant caused me to have to do more frequent head cleanings. PQ uses a wet lubricant. Don't mix them and use the cleaning cassette from the tape manufacturer and not the camera manufacturer. Formulation matches better for tape compound you are trying to clean off.

John
Waitaminit.

Supposedly, at least from vendor and Pana info

i) all Panny tapes are compatible with each other / there is no incompatible tape lube between their tape
ii) PQ and MQ use the same lube.

I just got a case of PQ after using only MQ, since MQ was no longer available. Haven't used the PQ yet but I certainly hope there are no such issues. Perhaps there was a bad batch of Panasonic tape a while back?
Laurence Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
been using the PQs for, gosh, since 02!? I can't remember but a whole lot of tapes-63s and even 83s as well. Seems like over the last 3 years or so that out of 50 tapes there are 2 or 3 that cause a problem. Luckily it hasn't been a major problem but it keeps me thinking.
I have *heard* that the PQUS is the replacement for the PQs but who knows. Overall, I really like the PQs.
Just to be honest though,
I have never used the MQs
__________________
What do I know? I'm just a video-O-grafer.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Spiegel View Post
Waitaminit.

Supposedly, at least from vendor and Pana info

i) all Panny tapes are compatible with each other / there is no incompatible tape lube between their tape
ii) PQ and MQ use the same lube.

I just got a case of PQ after using only MQ, since MQ was no longer available. Haven't used the PQ yet but I certainly hope there are no such issues. Perhaps there was a bad batch of Panasonic tape a while back?
The information came from Panasonic rep Jan Crittenden several years ago on the 2 Pop forums. Maybe they have since changed the formulation. As a precaution I would use a Panasonic tape cleaning cassette first before you switch.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brookline MA
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
The information came from Panasonic rep Jan Crittenden several years ago on the 2 Pop forums. Maybe they have since changed the formulation. As a precaution I would use a Panasonic tape cleaning cassette first before you switch.

John
So can one still find MQ? AMQ seems to be overpriced, and has no advantage that I can see over MQ for SD recording. I'd rather not have to worry about 'now what tape was just is there... do I need to run the cleaning tape again'. Cleaning tape is somewhat abrasive, so I'd prefer to run it less rather than more.
Laurence Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Spiegel View Post
So can one still find MQ? AMQ seems to be overpriced, and has no advantage that I can see over MQ for SD recording. I'd rather not have to worry about 'now what tape was just is there... do I need to run the cleaning tape again'. Cleaning tape is somewhat abrasive, so I'd prefer to run it less rather than more.
Whenever you switch tapes you should clean. Since I don't switch tapes (I always use PQ) I rarely have to clean. In terms of a supplier that has all the Panasonic tape including MQ, I use this vendor:

PANASONIC AYDVM63PQ 63 MINUTE MINIDV TAPES

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Monterey Bay area, CA
Posts: 82
- AY-DV63PQUS - $3.35
- AY-DVM63PQ - $2.89

I just received the AY-DV63PQUS, and they are the same as the PQ. Same shell, same plastic storage container - the only difference is the shrink wrap on each cassette.
Tsu Terao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 558
I switch from PQs to AMQs all the time. Been shooting since 2007 and only used the cleaning cassette twice. They may use different lubricants, but they are both dry.

I haven't used the "new" AMQs yet, the ones that come in the huge case. But I have gig on Wednesday so I'm placing an order. Should be interesting to see what gets shipped when ordering 20pcs.

OH, and as far as dropouts. Had 3 in my lifetime. And I'm 80% sure at least one of them was actually a capture issue.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 686
Placed an order for PQ tapes and received PQUS instead. Supposedly replaces PQ.
Shrink wrap is different - tape shell looks the same after you open it AND on the tape itself it says AY-DVM83PQ not PQUS. Go figure.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network