JVC BR-622U Tape Speed problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 24th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC BR-622U Tape Speed problem

I just bought a JVC BR-622U SVHS deck and for some strange reason it plays tapes at too hih of a tape speed. I try to slow it down using the shuttle but I can't seem to pin-point the proper speed. There's no "sweetspot" its either too fast or too slow.

I must be over looking something so if anybody knows what it could be please let me know

Thanks
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I just noticed this only happens with certain tapes. Professinal tapes have no problem playing. I wonder if this could be due to the fact that those consumer produced tapes have no Time Code or Sync track. If this is the problem does anyone know of a low cost external Sync box that would fix my problem?

Forgive me for my Linear editing ignorance. I guess I am a product of the non-Linear age.

Thanks
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #3
Warden

All VHS/S-VHS tapes have a Control Track (CT). CT helps the servos (speed controls) maintain sync. It sounds like you deck has problems.

There should be a switch for sync. It has three settings if I remember (External, Internal, Source/Tape). Make sure the sync is not set to External Sync. External sync is for house sync (black burst).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 02:24 AM   #4
Major Player

A couple ideas.

by the way, you probably own the best deck ever made for playing back VHS and S-VHS tapes. (along with the 522, 525, and 822 JVC decks)

This family of machines do not play back 6 hour SLP recorded tapes.

Put the input select switch to the black setting, black a few minutes of tape and see if the deck plays it back with no problem.
Old March 26th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yep that was it those tapes were recorded in EP or SLP. Man sometimes the most apparent thing is the problem. I should have know better as I used to own a RCA fullsize VHS camcorder that would not playback or record anything in SLP. By the way the deck is great I picked it up from Ebay for $280...It only has 317 hours on the heads. Which were serviced at 300 hours

Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line