DVCAM with Panasonic 80 min using PD170? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVCAM with Panasonic 80 min using PD170?

Has anyone had any issues with Panasonic EJ 80 minute tapes on a PD170 using DVCAM? The camera reports 56 minutes of available tape.

John
John Laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:04 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Aren't 80 minute tapes thinner than 60 minute tapes? And running at DVCAM speed, I don't know, I'd stick with 60 minute tapes. They're thicker and can probably handle the higher speed better. Just my opinion.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

There have been a lot of tape discussions around here already. Interestingly, in another thread somebody wrote that Panasonic didn't even recommend using those tapes in the DVX-100, not because it would damage the camera, but because of tape stretch issues. Makes you wonder what they are intended for...

Personally, I only use Sony tapes in my VX-2000 and PDX-10. Again, lots of discussion on this topic already. Apparently there are differences in lubricants between the different manufacturers, so why take chances?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 02:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi John,

This really depends on your application. if you are shooting commercially I would not recommend you use the 80 minute tapes (Sony also makes the DVM-80PRL 80 minute tape). These types of tapes are designed for the consumer market and (it's been mentioned earlier in this thread) are thinner and more likely to stretch.

I would also be concerned about the possibility of a tape jam at DVCAM speed with the thinner tapes.

If you are looking for extended running time on DVCAM, I would suggest that you go to an external deck connected via Firewire (excuse me Sony, iLink!) using the full size DVCAM tapes. I typically use a DSR50 but you could also use a DSR25 or even a DSR11 depending on what you are doing and your budget.

HTH,

Doug
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #5
Wrangler

For that matter, if you need to record for 60 minutes, why not just switch your camera to DV SP? Highly unlikely that you will experience any problems with this.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line