DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   No playback!!! Help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/236139-no-playback-help.html)

Michael Padilla May 26th, 2009 05:59 PM

No playback!!! Help!

Hi All.. I have a problem:

I shot a wedding yesterday and all but one tape works. Meaning that when I playback on our deck I see nothing, no timecode.. just a blue screen. Yes I did record on this tape. It shows timecode when I rewind or stop playback. very weird.. what is going on?

Also I tried different decks.. all had the same issue.

Using Canon XHA1; 1080 30P; Playback Deck HV20; Tape - Panasonic PQ 63

Thanks!

Adam Gold May 27th, 2009 11:29 AM

I don't think the HV20 does 30p. At least there was no mention in the manual of this mode, only 24p. What other decks have you tried, and are you sure all the tapes that worked were shot in 30p?

Usually these symptoms happen when you record DV but have the deck set to HDV playback, or vice versa, or just generally are trying to play back a different mode than what you shot.

Noel Lising May 27th, 2009 11:35 AM

Do you see a video if you push pause or while doing a fast reverse or forward? This happened to us once shooting U-matic, our tech disabled something and recorded a "missing signal" to the tape. I don't know if Digital would have the same solution though.

Good luck Michael.

Michael Padilla May 27th, 2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1149154)
I don't think the HV20 does 30p. At least there was no mention in the manual of this mode, only 24p. What other decks have you tried, and are you sure all the tapes that worked were shot in 30p?

Usually these symptoms happen when you record DV but have the deck set to HDV playback, or vice versa, or just generally are trying to play back a different mode than what you shot.

Not a problem normally.. HV20 reads 30p even though it doesn't record it.

Michael Padilla May 27th, 2009 11:50 AM

Got it!

GOT IT WORKING :)

I don't know how or why.. but now its playing.. (WEIRD)

Thanks for the help!

Andrew Smith May 27th, 2009 11:40 PM

My heart sensed your terror. Glad it worked out for you.

Would it be worth trying to troubleshoot with testing of your deck and/or camera? Just in case you can't recover from this on your next job.

Andrew

Michael Padilla May 28th, 2009 10:13 AM

Terror is right!!

It might be something in my camera.. because now it says clean heads every time I turn the thing on!

Bill Pryor May 28th, 2009 05:11 PM

Have you cleaned the heads?

When you get the clean the heads message, it wants you to clean the heads.

Warren Kawamoto May 31st, 2009 09:50 PM

What's scary here is that you said you tried different decks but it didn't work. That means your tape was out of alignment or was recorded with dirty heads. Before you do anything else, play back your tape from your original camcorder and make a copy of it to another machine!