DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   How long can we leave tape in the Camera (I got a Sony DVCAM) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/24649-how-long-can-we-leave-tape-camera-i-got-sony-dvcam.html)

Ronald Lee April 15th, 2004 11:31 PM

How long can we leave tape in the Camera (I got a Sony DVCAM)

Say, I was wondering, especially since Sony tapes use a wet emulsion, how long is it safe to leave a Sony miniDV tape, or any tape, in the video camera?

I know we are supposed to remove it when we are done, but if we don't then how long is safe to leave it in there. Days? Weeks? Will it dry up/stick to the head?

Kris Holodak April 16th, 2004 09:45 AM

I've left tapes in for about 24 hours due to forgetfulness and not had any problems. There probably is a point at which problems ensue, but I suspect the only way to get a real answer is for someone share a sad story with us.

Mike Rehmus April 16th, 2004 05:04 PM

My friend at Sony R&D in San Jose, CA says that leaving tape in cameras is the fastest way to a transport problem. Springs are left in their stretched postition & tape is held against guides and heads.

I pull them out immediately after a session.

Frank Granovski April 16th, 2004 05:12 PM

Quote:

Springs are left in their stretched postition & tape is held against guides and heads.
I didn't know this. Thanks, Mike!

Ridzuan Yunus April 16th, 2004 11:10 PM

Been using my panasonic for 2 years & have always left my tapes for at least a week before replacing it. So far, no problems.

Rick Bravo April 21st, 2004 10:43 AM

All of our vehicles carry one type of camera or another. It is not unusual for my vehicle to carry three different types of cameras at all times.

Due to the nature of our work, and having to shoot without stopping to load tape or mount batteries, our cameras have tapes in them 24/7, sometimes for weeks at a time, and we have never had any kind of problem due to this.

If the camera is powered down, the tape should be back in its case and not sitting on heads.

RB

Mike Rehmus April 21st, 2004 06:23 PM

Each camera is different about where the tape ends up when powered down. And the way some people turn the camera off is to pull the battery! Leaves everything out in the breeze.

Frank Granovski April 21st, 2004 07:59 PM

Well, that's one thing I never do, slide off the battery to shut off my cam. I do however remove it after I finish shooting...with my tape still in my cam. :-))

-----------------------------------------------
In Vancouver you can tell it's summer when the rain gets warmer.

Rick Bravo April 21st, 2004 10:24 PM

Hard Boot!

I can only speak about the cameras we currently operate, including the Beta SPs.

I power my cameras down the way the GOOD LORD intended us to do...I turn the power off using the supplied switch...period.

If some knucklehead decides he, or she, wants to pull the battery to power down while everything is still running...kind of like turning off your computer by pulling the plug from the wall...then I say all bets are off.

If you're going to be dumb...you BETTER be tough!

Regards, RB.