Sony Rec/Playback error at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Tourist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 2
Sony Rec/Playback error

As my first official post, I have a problem, of course...

Using a GL-2 and Sony DVM60PRL tape this past weekend, one of my tapes did not record correctly.

When I playback the footage, there is no audio, and only about 5% of the screen plays back on the right hand side. The other 95% of the screen is black...

This tape was one of six used in the day, and was the second used. All other tapes seem to be ok.

I recorded in SP mode, and all tapes were new.

I have used nothing but this brand of Sony tape for the last year, since I got the camera.

I'm hoping it's a playback issue, not a recording issue, but I have also tried playing the tape in my GL-1 with the same result.

I would appreciate any help or direction to a similar thread, I have been unable to find one yet...

Thanks, Rick
Rick Gority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:38 PM   #2
Outer Circle
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hope, BC
Posts: 7,527
What kind of tape did you use before using the Sony DVM60PRL? Did you clean the heads before switching tape types?

Or if you have used this tape all along, then perhaps the heads need cleaning. How many head hours do you have on your GL2? Is your warranty still active?

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:41 PM   #3
Tourist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 2
As I can recall, I have only used Sony tape since buying the camera last October 16th.

I would imagine I am creeping up on my first 50 hours with the camera, so it should be due for a cleaning. Any good way of "tracking" head hours?

I read the articles in your posting, thank you for the insight. I'm a little worried about cleaning the heads with a cleaning cassete now, however.

As for warranty, the heads were not covered a while back (3 months), but the 12 month part of the warranty for other parts is still active.
Rick Gority is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network