New xl1-s Eating Tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 31st, 2001, 06:39 PM   #1
aonikoyi

New xl1-s Eating Tape

I just purchased my xl1s and have had it for about a couple of days. Now I have started to upload some old footage taken with a sony trv900 to edit on my G4, however I find that when I rewind or fast forward it eats the tape.
"Eject Tape" appears in the viewfinder and when I eject there is a bunch of tangled tape to pull out from the mech.
Here are my questions:
1/ is this a typical problem with xl1s
2/ can this be fixed without me sending it anywhere
3/ are there generally any problems using tapes previously used on other
camcorders
Thank you guys for all your help.
Old October 31st, 2001, 06:50 PM   #2
New Boot

Just wanted to add my .02 which isn't much help. But I actually have found with my new XL1s that the panasonic tape I first put in got eaten as well. It only happened so far with the first tape. I'm going to stick with Fuji from now on and see how that goes.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2001, 07:08 PM   #3
aonikoyi

I just checked all my tapes and I have 4 maxells and 1 panasonic. Go figure. did you have any tapes that didnt eat up? and were they tapes used in another camcorder?
Old October 31st, 2001, 08:55 PM   #4
chris burnham

The first bunch of tapes I used in my xl1s were 5 panasonic, 2 maxell & 3 sony; in that order. (I was ignorant to the problems with different lubricants.)
I had no problems with any being chewed up.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 11:28 AM   #5
New Boot

Yes and No.

<<<-- Originally posted by aonikoyi : I just checked all my tapes and I have 4 maxells and 1 panasonic. Go figure. did you have any tapes that didnt eat up? and were they tapes used in another camcorder? -->>>

All my tapes are brand new and only used in the XL1s. I don't reuse really. But it has so far only happened with the one Panasonic tape I used.

I now use Fuji which I got from www.tapeguys.com for about $5 shipped each. No problems so far.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2001, 10:13 PM   #6
Trevor Gunning

XL1s eating tape

I just got my XL1s, so far to problem. I am using Panasonic AY-DVM-63PQ I read where this is the best, also that Fuji makes Panasonic Tapes. Is this true?
Old November 3rd, 2001, 07:36 AM   #7
Wrangler

Fuji and Panasonic worked together to develope the DVCPro (MP) formulation tape. But I have not heard that the their MiniDV tape rolls from the same plant, although it is possible that they might share production facilities. Cooperative agreements like that are probably more common in Japan than in the US.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2001, 09:15 PM   #8
Trevor Gunning

XL1s Eating Tape

Thanks for the feed back.
The Question I wish to ask is. Those XL1s users who had their tapes eaten, was it 80 min or 60 min tapes that were being used? My reasoning is that just like a casset tape deck, will more easily eat a 90 min tape than a 60 min so is the similarity, thinner tape etc. Plus the XL1 FF/Rew time for 60 min tape is 2 min 50 sec vs. XL1s of 2 min 20 sec.
Could that 30 sec. faster have somthing to do with it. If so Canon did a poor job at factory testing.
I would not like to do a shoot and find that 80 min of hard work, that I may not be able to recapture is all lost. So before I launch out into the hills of Jamaica I would like to be sure if I should use 60 min tapes only, untill Canon comes up with a solution. Or ????
I am open for suggestions.

Peace & Love
Old November 6th, 2001, 09:14 PM   #9
Marv Frankel

New XL1s eating tape

I was beginning to think I was getting senile. I began to capture some video that had been shot in my GL1, when my brand-new XL1s started eating tapes. I tried several others, and it did the same thing. Two tapes were JVC, and one was a TDK. Friday, I took it into Canon Factory Service, and when I picked it up today, the "Service Report" said:
Repaired unit. Replaced brake ass'y. Perf. cam., rec and tapepath adj. Chk. all fns. to fact. specs.

A friend of mine on Maui, has a new XL1s that's doing the same thing. It appears that some of these units were shipped with defective brake assemblies. I haven't tested mine out since I got it back, but I'll keep you posted.

Marv Frankel
Los Angeles
Old November 7th, 2001, 02:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Re: New xl1-s Eating Tape

This sounds like there is a problem. Canon did change the tape drive system on the XL1S. I wonder if this is the problem.

Michael Pappas

<<<-- Originally posted by aonikoyi : I just purchased my xl1s and have had it for about a couple of days. Now I have started to upload some old footage taken with a sony trv900 to edit on my G4, however I find that when I rewind or fast forward it eats the tape.
"Eject Tape" appears in the viewfinder and when I eject there is a bunch of tangled tape to pull out from the mech.
Here are my questions:
1/ is this a typical problem with xl1s
2/ can this be fixed without me sending it anywhere
3/ are there generally any problems using tapes previously used on other
camcorders
Thank you guys for all your help. -->>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2001, 08:51 AM   #11
Trevor Gunning

New XL1s Eating tape

I would encourage some more opinions on the XL1s new tape drive "problem" and if there is a general consesus then we should use the strength of this forum (The XL1/XL1S Watchdog) and approach Canon.
I am sure they will respond positively.
Its great to be able to deal with issues which affect us as DV users, yet scattered across the globe. Thanks to this wonderful forum. Thank You DVinfo.net
Old November 7th, 2001, 10:21 AM   #12
Marv Frankel

New XL1s eating tape

I tested out my newly repaired XL1s last night, and it captures, fast forwards, & rewinds with no problem. Today I'll go out and shoot some video, and check it out further. Let you all know later.
My friend on Maui has had no problem taping, but it eats his tapes on rewind. He's sending his to Canon for the same treatment as mine got.
Old November 8th, 2001, 11:19 AM   #13
aonikoyi

xl1s service

Thank you guys so much for responding to me. Its nice to know others who have the same problems you have. Looks like I will have to send my camera in for service. Here is were lies my question. With the camera eating tape does that mean I dont have to include the lens with the camera body? Plus what are the things to know when shipping your camera for service and 3. what service center do you send it to. and oh! yeah how long does it take, I have a shoot on the 17th of november
Old November 8th, 2001, 11:30 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

Service center info is on the XL1 Watchdog site, see "The XL1 Skinny." Since you're in GA, Use the NJ facility. Contact info is on that page.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2001, 11:40 AM   #15
Marv Frankel

Attn: aonikyi Re: Tape eater

There are two factory service centers that I know of. One here in Southern California, and I believe the other is in New Jersey. If you want the answers to your questions, send an e-mail to Kelly Amado who was a big help to me here. His e-mail is KAMADO@CUSA.CANON.COM, and his phone number is (949) 753-4200 Ext 4210. You can mention that I gave you this info.
If your XL1s is doing what my friend's is, it only eats tapes on rewind, and not while taping. You could do your shoot, and rewind on another camcorder. Although it only took them 2 days to fix mine, I don't know if I would take a chance sending it in, without some assurance that you'd get it back on time for your shoot.
I hope that helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line