DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Capture issues in Windows 7? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/269806-capture-issues-windows-7-a.html)

Chris Davis August 12th, 2009 07:50 AM

Capture issues in Windows 7?

Anybody here using Windows 7? I just installed it the other day and the only issue I've had so far is that I absolutely cannot capture from my JVC deck (CU-VH1). The computer recognizes it - it shows up correctly identified under "Devices and Printers" but when I try to capture in either Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas I get a "Device not found" message.

I can still capture on my laptop (Windows XP) and move the files over to my edit machine, but I'd rather find out there's an updated driver download available.

Andrew Smith August 12th, 2009 10:26 AM

Chances are that any card manufacturers will not be working on an updated driver for Win 7 until the goal posts are firmly cemented in to the ground. Something like the Win 7 software going "gold" and being shipped off to manufacture.

Anything else would be financially foolish for the company. Video workflows are finicky and demanding as it is.

Andrew

Chris Davis August 12th, 2009 12:08 PM

Windows 7 has shipped to manufacturing. I'm running the RTM version which was released last Friday.

I have found a few others online that have the same problem, as well as a few solutions, but none have worked for me so far.

Andrew Smith August 13th, 2009 07:04 AM

Oh wow. That was quick. Why ... it was only just the other day that it was in beta.

Andrew

Chris Davis October 19th, 2009 06:47 AM

Since Windows 7 will be available in stores this week, I'm sure others will have this problem, so I thought I'd post the solution that worked for me and many others.

The problem is that Windows 7 apparently installs the wrong driver upon detecting a firewire port. Step-by-step, here is the solution:

1. Go to Device Manager and click on IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
2. Click on the device listed underneath this heading. In my case it was Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
3. Right click this device and select 'update driver software' from the shortcut menu
4. Then select the option 'browse my computer for driver software'
5. Then select the option 'let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'
6. This then gave me three drivers to pick from (make sure the 'show compatible hardware' checkbox is ticked)
7. Select the driver named '1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)'
8. Install driver

No reboot is necessary, capturing via firewire should now work.

Martin Guitar February 13th, 2010 12:59 AM

Thanks very much Chris. Worked right away.

Andrew Smith February 14th, 2010 03:53 PM

Actually, that's not the first time Windows auto-installs the wrong driver. There was the same sort of issue for wi-fi adapters under Windows XP.

(Answer was to install the driver from the manufacturer's CD prior to installing the hardware adapter. Or else ...)

Andrew

Battle Vaughan May 2nd, 2010 08:57 PM

Sorry, posted to wrong item....