Direct to VHS or get a DV VHS deck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 8th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #1
Trustee

Direct to VHS or get a DV VHS deck

I have an opportunity that I am investigating where I would be recording individual performances at an event and make those performances available... for a price :) It is outdoors, so I am thinking that attaching a deck to my VX2100 may not be such a good idea, but it is a possibility. But I would also absolutely need power. The better choice may be to record to mini-DV and use a deck like the JVC mini-DV / VHS VCR to dub the tapes onsite at the 'sales' table.

Of course, the best alternative I cannot afford to do, which we be using a broadcast camera and all the equiptment associated including hardware editing, etc. ;)

I think a DVD camera we not be a good choice in this instance.

Thoughts, ideas, alternatives?
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #2
Trustee

Since you guys are a bunch of slackers... ;)

I think I have a solution to this. The JVC SR-VS30U. Mini-DV/S-VHS/VHS deck with iLink. Around $800-$850 Street Price. I have seen a thread that discussed issues with a VX2000 tapes and the JVC IF attached on Firewire. JVC pointed the finger at everything else ignoring the fact that when you point, three fingers point back to you ;)

Looks like it could be a solution and a mini-DV to NLE solution too, but not as good as some of the more pro DV decks. It also looks like it will do Analog to DV (that would be the Live setting in Liquid Edition I think).

Just need to haul along a monitor too. I think I will find someone with a good return policy though...
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line