DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   What Mini DV tapes do you use? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/27348-what-mini-dv-tapes-do-you-use.html)

Dave Perry June 10th, 2004 04:46 AM

What Mini DV tapes do you use?

I've primarily been using Maxell DVM60SE mini DV tapes in my ZR 40, Optura XI, and TRV 950. I started using them mainly because I can get them $24/6 pack at Sam's Club.

Are these tapes as good as anything else? I've been told it's best to stick to one brand and the same model. Are there PRO grade tapes I should consider or are these PRO grade? What other tapes are some of you using?

Thanks, dp

Michael Wisniewski June 10th, 2004 10:21 AM

I use Fuji Film DVC tapes. Mainly because that's all I used in my still camera - so I just stuck with them when I started using MiniDV.

Ray Echevers June 20th, 2004 09:09 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Wisniewski : I use Fuji Film DVC tapes. Mainly because that's all I used in my still camera - so I just stuck with them when I started using MiniDV. -->>>

I'm pretty sure those are the exact ones i've been using.
I get them for about $3 each at my work.(employee discount)

Josh Brusin June 20th, 2004 09:57 AM

Fuji's are great when they're on clearance at Target. As are any tapes on clearance anywhere...

I have had one problem with Sony's red label tapes... I don't use sony anymore.

I LOVE the softer opaque plastic cases with TDK tapes and would gladly stick to those.... no problems with the tape either.

Chris Sebes June 29th, 2004 01:38 PM

I've read that the Fuji tapes are among the better brands and have been using them exclusively in my Sony VX2100. About 10 hours of taping and no problems yet. (knock on wood)

Peace!
Chris

Derrick Ellis July 29th, 2004 01:09 PM

Re: What Mini DV tapes do you use?

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Perry : I've primarily been using Maxell DVM60SE mini DV tapes in my ZR 40, Optura XI, and TRV 950. I started using them mainly because I can get them $24/6 pack at Sam's Club.

Are these tapes as good as anything else? I've been told it's best to stick to one brand and the same model. Are there PRO grade tapes I should consider or are these PRO grade? What other tapes are some of you using?

Thanks, dp -->>>

Dave,

I use these same Maxell tapes for the same reason (cost) and haven't had any problems in my ZR70 or Optura 20 in the past year. I'll be buying a GL2 soon and have considered switching to a "btter" tape if I find a valid reason. I'm sure there must be some othe rMaxell usersd out there with opinions.

Dave Perry July 29th, 2004 04:09 PM

Thanks Derrick. Maybe some others will post on this subject as well.

Dennis Vogel July 29th, 2004 08:03 PM

Re: What Mini DV tapes do you use?

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Perry : What other tapes are some of you using? -->>>
Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ

Dennis Vogel

Steven Davis August 3rd, 2004 06:25 AM

I use the Maxell Tapes from Sam's as well. I've never had a consistent issue with the tapes. Everyone once in a while, I'll throw a new one in my palm cam, and it'll get eaten, but that's only happened twice the 3 years I've owned it. Like the original dude of this thread said, their 24 bucks for 6 at Sams Club. Decent price.

Robert J. Wolff August 3rd, 2004 07:29 AM

My experience is strickly with Sony. Over the last 3 years, I have never had a problem.

Josh. Were you working in extremely humid conditions, at the time you had a problem?

Clint Comer September 21st, 2004 02:56 PM

I too buy the 6 pack at Sam's and they were recommended to me by an instructor/friend and that is what uses as well. However I too am wanting to know if there is a better one for Canon's cameras.

Rob Henegar September 24th, 2004 03:37 PM

Only Sony Premium DVM60PR3's. Never have issues with them at all.

David Bermejo September 25th, 2004 07:41 PM

I use Sony Premiums and Maxell

Ray Echevers September 25th, 2004 08:12 PM

Now with my VX1000 and HC-20, i use Sony Premiums. (sold the 2100)

Jason Watt October 24th, 2004 11:11 AM

I started using Sony Premiums but then moved to the Excellence line as Sony says it's the highest of their prosumer line tapes.

For those on the thread using Sony tapes any thoughts on which is better?

Also I just went to the Sony Digital master website
(http://digitalmastertape.com/product.asp) and they also offer in DVCAM and MiniDV their "Digital Master" tapes.

Has anyone used these and if so, I welcome any thoughts on them as well.

I have an upcoming shoot in which we'll be using multiple cameras (2 XL1's, PD 150, DVX100, 2 Lipstick cams) for use on a show being pitched for broadcast use.

Thanks!