Any problems with TDK tape? Just bought a used GL-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 23rd, 2002, 02:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any problems with TDK tape? Just bought a used GL-1

Hey Gang,
I just bought a used GL-1 and the previous owner used TDK tape. I've been reading past posts and you all seem to believe that Sony and Panasonic tape is the best. Then, I've also read that Sony and Panasonic are the only MiniDV tape manufacturers and they sell to others. I bought a head cleaner, but have yet to run it yet as I am waiting for your advice. If I do decide to grab some panasonic tape, would one head cleaning prepare this camera for that? I don't want to clean it too much as I don't want to wear the heads out. Also, the TDK tape he ran is 60 minutes, and I intend to run 80 minute stuff. Any difference between 60 and 80 minute as far as the camera is concerned? If you all agree that there is nothing wrong with TDK tape and it's quality is good, that's what I'll continue to use as I don't want to switch brands. I also understand that that is a bad idea.
BTW, this camera has been run roughly 20 hours total on it with that TDK 60 minute tape.
Thanks
-Kyle
Kyle De Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2002, 03:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi,

at one stage I used TDK exclusively without any troubles as they were more readily available in my area. I then moved to Sony as most forum posts felt this was a better option.

Today, as a matter of interest I bought tapes and the TDK's were
R 79,00 vs R 139,00 for the Sony's.

Cheers
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2002, 05:30 PM   #3
Warden

I think the tape inside is fine, but the shell seems a little more fragile than the Sony or Panasonic. I have clients that shoot on TDK and I seem to have slightly more problems with them than the other brands. However, a lot of the discounters here sell them cheap (Sam's, Costco) so there may be more of them in use.
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2002, 06:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I do like the price. I've seen them for as little as 3.19 each. I'll be shooting weddings, so of course I don't want there to be any problems. I don't carry my tapes in a bag, but rather, in a hard case with the camera. As long as the quality is ok. I'm not looking for super duper crazy quality... Just good. I'll be burning the results on DVD for regular people to watch on regular TV's. I just don't want to stick someone with poor color or a choppy pixilated product. I'm new at this, so I appreciate your input. I love this forum
-Kyle
Old July 24th, 2002, 12:07 AM   #5
Outer Circle

I've read about people having problems with TDK, often. I have never used them , however. I did have problems with JVC tapes, and something bad. Since I've switched to Fuji tapes, I've never had even 1 problem. (I'm still using Fujis.)

The main trick for avoiding problems, is to pick a good quality tape, and stick with it. Never mix different types/brands. (Works for me.)

Mind you, I didn't mix types/brands when I was using the JVC tapes, though every JVC tape gummed my heads! (So I got smart real fast.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 06:40 AM   #6
Warden

I would be a little uneasy using TDK tapes all the time. Yes, you might save a few dollars, but try explaining to the Bride the tape of her wedding was eaten while editing, or even worse jammed in the camera and you couldn't tape any more. I'm not saying TDK tapes are bad, just is, like Frank, I hear lots of things.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 12:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I guess what I'm asking is... Is it true that Panasonic and Sony really make all the tapes and then repackage them for others? If it is true, who makes the TDK's? I'd rather go with the Panasonic's personally. The reason is because some of you have told me (on this forum) that Canon repackages Panasonics and puts their name on them. If I had a Sony Camera, I'd buy Sony tapes. You get the idea. The guy who sold me the camera included one TDK, so here's what I plan to do... Get to know the camera with the TDK, clean the heads and then switch to Panasonic for business! Thanks so much for all the advice. Now I have to get back to the manual. It's a real page turner!
-Kyle
Old July 24th, 2002, 12:57 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Fuji makes their own miniDV tape, and has made them for Panasonic. Fuji makes a wide range of media products.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 03:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Then I'm a Fuji Man! I always liked their products in my still photo days. Thanks Frank! Enjoy Vancouver. I wish I was there right now. I love that area!
-Kyle
Kyle De Priest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line