what tapes brands to avoid for gl-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 20th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

what tapes brands to avoid for gl-2

heard tdk wa snot a good choice at all, any other brands to beware of?
Yohann Kouam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:11 AM   #2
New Boot

Why should tdk not be good?

You have heard that tdk is not a good choice. Do you know why?
I have used tdk all the time and have not registered any problems - but of course I am interested if the tdk tape is'nt good for the videoheads or something like this.
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:55 AM   #3
Major Player

The question, and this applies to ALL DV equipment - regardless of manufacturer, is not what tapes to use, but what tapes to use FIRST.

The different manufactureres of tape; Sony, TDK, Panasonic, Maxell, TDX, Canon, to name a few.. all use different lubricants on their tapes (this smoothes the motion of the tape in the camera and decreases wear on the tapes). Now for some reason, the lubricans have an effect on the transfer fo data aswell. When you get a new camera - or back from the factory after a repair that replaced the drum/heads. - the first tape you stick in the camera and use will be the brand of tape that your camera 'prefers' - you won't always have problems with other tapes, but it's likly with some brands (it varies..)

So if you go out and buy a brand new XL1 and stick a sony tape in it you camera will prefer sony. - others might work, but no promises. I prefer sony beacuse it's avaialble everywhere, generally ahs better durability and the circles i work in use mostly sony - I won't allow any other brand tape even near my camera.

Some brands are better than otheres - price (as always) is generally a preaty good indicator of quality.

If you do use a tape other than your camera's 'prefered' tape, then be ready to expect dropouts and glitches in your recordings or playbe.
NOTE: this effect is seperate for recording and playbeck, so if you record on a sony first, but your playbe is on a TDK first, then you will have problems recording TDK, and sony won't play back.. I'v worked with a deck that can't play something it just recorded - very frustrating.

Cleaning the camera/deck will hep a little, maybe. but generallry you need a factory clean to solve most problems.

So pick a brand of tape carefully, you will want to stick to it.

- Mikko
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i just bought my gl-2 and i've only recorded like one hour a half with some tdk, is there gonna be any effect if i switch to sony right now?

thanx
Yohann Kouam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #5
New Boot

Yohann,

I did the exact same thing you did. I had recorded with one 60 minute TDK tape on my GL2, and then switched to Sony Premium Tapes.
Now, I recorded about 15 minutes on the Sony tapes, and I started seeing artifacts during playback like the head needed to be cleaned. Now this could have been because I switched brands, or because new cameras tend to need head cleaning not too far after buying them. Regardless of which it was (or both), I bought a Maxell Head Cleaning tape, did one head cleaning, and the Sony tapes work perfectly.
Now I've never heard that TDK isn't a good choice, but if you want to switch to Sony tapes, I suggest you buy a head cleaning tape (it doesn't matter which brand) and clean the head before using the Sony tapes. Make sure you follow the directions on the head cleaner to the letter.
And stick to Sony tapes after that, its better for the head to use only one brand.
Ian Hong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line